2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's down to primer.. no body damage, just the two scratches.. anyone have any ideas on options/possible outcomes... touch up? repaint?

Never owned a car that I cared enough to have body work done to so I'm not sure what I'm up against as far as potential cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ouch that is a real bummer. If it is down to the primer it is tough to touch up on your own. Dr. Color chip works well but it will never be like new.

I've witnessed touch up jobs where they filled and used an air brush combined with blending the clear coat across the panel and wet sanding. I had this done on previous car when the dealer scratched my bumper during service. I'm extremely picky and I couldn't tell it was ever there afterwards.

People with this skill set seem to be hard to find. Most paint shops will just tell you to repaint as they have no idea how to do touch ups. Maybe talk to your dealer and see if they have a "guy" they use for touch ups as I'm sure they run into that issue quite a bit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it's down to primer.. no body damage, just the two scratches.. anyone have any ideas on options/possible outcomes... touch up? repaint?

Never owned a car that I cared enough to have body work done to so I'm not sure what I'm up against as far as potential cost.
Yes, even this one possible to touch up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

Don't try to save $20 getting on ebay go with reputable seller.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, even this one possible to touch up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

Don't try to save $20 getting on ebay go with reputable seller.
He basically just did the Dr. Color chip method but used bondo as well to speed up the process since the scratch was so long. You basically fill the scratch with paint and use the leveler solution to even it out. This method works great for stone chips and small scratches but you will obviously still see the repair on deep scratches. Hope the G55 owner didn't pay much for the work cause it didn't look very good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
He basically just did the Dr. Color chip method but used bondo as well to speed up the process since the scratch was so long. You basically fill the scratch with paint and use the leveler solution to even it out. This method works great for stone chips and small scratches but you will obviously still see the repair on deep scratches. Hope the G55 owner didn't pay much for the work cause it didn't look very good.
There are more talented people out there than Larry but they don't make videos and have own product to sell so we have to give him a credit. As a matter of fact, I was ready to pay $50 for three tiny chips on a bumper I could not find any services in the city and boroughs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Someone left me a souvenir today, 4" through the clear to prime and 10" they could not go through it just made hairline groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts