2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post here.

2013 4 door Mazda 3 with 2.0L Skyactiv Engine. 66K Miles. 6 Spd manual.

Once a week (maybe less) my brake pedal will sink almost to the floor. Note I still have stopping power, just have to press further/harder.

After a few quick pumps it goes back to nice and firm for a solid week, week and a half. Then at random it will happen again. I'm not losing fluid (reservoir is full) and all pads/rotors seem fine with life left on them.

Today, it happened again but this time, the pedal stayed soft/sunk for a good 2 hours. It wasn't until I turned off the car and pumped the brakes a few times (with the car completely off), started the car back up and the brakes are nice and firm again. WTH!

Booster? Master Cylinder? ABS?

ABS is going to be a money pit to fix isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
7,173 Posts
Could be many things. Master cylinder, caliper, air in the line somewhere.... hard to tell over the internet. I'm afraid this is one that you will need actual hands on to figure out..:dunno:

·
Registered
467 Posts
STOP DRIVING IT. NOW. PLEASE.

The ramifications of your brakes failing are monumental.

Yes it will cost money to fix, but better that than a dead body and a prison term for you.

PLEASE don't drive til it's fixed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Brakes not working are the scariest thing i have ever had happen so i know how your feeling, I would suggest taking it to a dealership paying for the diagnosis to find out what it is before you start throwing parts at it. but when you do figure it out try this website for cheap o.e. parts www.mazdapartsprime.com i save a tone of money here and all original o.e. parts. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Find a local independent brake mechanic and make an appointment. If you don't know any, get recommendations from others, or check out some online reviews.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
As others said hard to diagnosis over the internet. If you are not leaking fluid there is probably a master cylinder problem like a leak in the diaphragm. Take it to a shop as it is not going to get any better, it will only get worse. Let us know what the shop finds out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hard to tell without further investigation. I strongly suggest you get it to the shop as soon as possible and have a friendly mechanic to check it out. Had a similar problem with my previous car where in I would be reversing or moving forward slowly then my brakes would not work sometimes and needed the handbrake to stop the car completely. Dealership doesn't know what to do, brakes are okay, calipers work, there are no leaks, the fluid tank is full and there is no ABS light. I gave up and sold the car for cheap to a new guy but informed him about it. There were many times that I almost hit, cars, walls and even pedestrians so I do not recommend driving around while something is wrong with your brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My local guy had it for 2 weeks while I was on vacation. He couldn't reproduce the issue however I have an appointment at my local Mazda dealership tomorrow. Hopefully they find the issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
did you check your brake fluid levels and condition? but yeah sounds scary. probably best to get your entire brake system a check.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
618 Posts
OP, did you ever resolve this? Is so, what was the issue/fix? Having some similar issues with our 2010 and going to start my own thread later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.