2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have any of the aforementioned devices to monitor the ECU and what not, where did you position yours and how did you run the wires to the OBDII output?

Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had both the ultragauge, scangauge in my car and had them both on the steering column in front of the gauges... worked great on my 2014 Mazda 3 GS. I ran the wire up the steering column and was pretty easy to fit the wire/gauge between the dash and column. Between them I'd go with the Ultragauge as it looks better... I had them sitting on grip cloth so nothing moved/scratched worked great and only moved slightly when I was cornering at a pace that had the front tire folding over.

As well I've put my 4.7" android Motorola razr hd in the same place and worked well connect to Elm327 via Bluetooth running Torque app. I'm thinking I'll be going with a 6/6.5" phablet installed in front of the shifter blocking the cd player but that's a work in progress.

I really should have taken some pictures... I hated the white buttons on the scan gauge so I wrapped it in carbon fiber to hide them. Looked better and still worked the buttons no problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had both the ultragauge, scangauge in my car and had them both on the steering column in front of the gauges... worked great on my 2014 Mazda 3 GS. I ran the wire up the steering column and was pretty easy to fit the wire/gauge between the dash and column. Between them I'd go with the Ultragauge as it looks better... I had them sitting on grip cloth so nothing moved/scratched worked great and only moved slightly when I was cornering at a pace that had the front tire folding over.

As well I've put my 4.7" android Motorola razr hd in the same place and worked well connect to Elm327 via Bluetooth running Torque app. I'm thinking I'll be going with a 6/6.5" phablet installed in front of the shifter blocking the cd player but that's a work in progress.

I really should have taken some pictures... I hated the white buttons on the scan gauge so I wrapped it in carbon fiber to hide them. Looked better and still worked the buttons no problem.
I have the Ultragauge currently (not installed), but I was thinking of running it through the A - pillar however, I have no clue how to remove it and I don't wanna go prying in places and end up breaking something haha.

But steering column sounds like a good idea, I'll have to do that if the A pillar thing doesn't work out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
243 Posts
After playing around with various placement locations, I ended up putting it next to the center display using velcro:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got mine installed and routed the cables through the A Pillar but the Ultragauge doesn't turn off when I turn off the car *sigh*

·
Registered
243 Posts
Got mine installed and routed the cables through the A Pillar but the Ultragauge doesn't turn off when I turn off the car *sigh*
If you have the UltraGuage, try various choices under the menu below until the gauge switches off with engine off.

UltraGuage Setup / Compatibility / Pwr off Detect mode

·
Registered
732 Posts
Set the power off detect to mode 3 and it'll shutdown unless you have a 2012 Skyactive.. in that case you'll need mode 3 and a quick on off/click to shutdown. Here's the link to the issue 2012 Mazda 3
I had this problem with mine. It turns out there is a mode 5 (I think) that they added on newer units. I e-mailed ultra-gauge explaining my situation and that I found their article and they updated my unit for me even though it was out of warranty. I only had to pay to ship it there and to ship it back.

I mounted mine using the windshield mount they sell right in the bottom left corner. I ran the cable down along the left side of the gauge cluser and between the steering column and trim panel that is right below it. The wire stays put nicely right behind that panel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had this problem with mine. It turns out there is a mode 5 (I think) that they added on newer units. I e-mailed ultra-gauge explaining my situation and that I found their article and they updated my unit for me even though it was out of warranty. I only had to pay to ship it there and to ship it back.

I mounted mine using the windshield mount they sell right in the bottom left corner. I ran the cable down along the left side of the gauge cluser and between the steering column and trim panel that is right below it. The wire stays put nicely right behind that panel.
Interesting you had the problem on your 2014... I've got a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 would stay on but the 2014 shutdown with no issues.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Interesting you had the problem on your 2014... I've got a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 would stay on but the 2014 shutdown with no issues.
Yea no matter what mode I tried it would not shut down. Once they updated it to add the additional mode it works great. Never had an issue on my 2010.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I really wish the wire came behind the unit instead of left of it. Can anyone post pictures on their install. I'm trying to get ideas on how to hide the wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts