2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 2019 Mazda 3 AWD Premium hatchback about 2 months ago. I love it! However, there have been 3 instances where the smart brake support/collision avoidance has kicked in unexpectedly. I'm not sure what the exact safety feature/system is called, but it has to do with braking. All 3 times the car has literally stopped hard, almost to a dead stop. One time I was slowing down behind the car in front of me who was making a right turn, and it stopped me from like 45 mph. All I can gather is it thought I was traveling too close? The other 2 times I was going like 30 on a pretty ordinary road, 1 lane in each direction, and the car suddenly put the brakes on. Neither time did I see anything in front of me. I only know that I was kind of rounding a curve both times and there was an oncoming car so maybe my car misjudged and thought the oncoming car was coming at me? But, that's just normal everyday driving. All 3 times the car also flashes the "Brake" light/message in red on the screen. It's scary because to me it's been so unpredictable because I don't see anything it should be trying to avoid. I'm worried that I'm going to cause an accident-that someone will run into the back of me when I stop so suddenly like that.

Anyone experienced this? I took it to the dealer today and they switched one of the settings, but I don't expect that to do anything. If the car thinks something is there, it will react, no matter the timing setting that is selected. He set it to respond later. They also said I could bring it in on Monday so I will do that. The guy said he hadn't heard of that problem before. They also said there is no way to turn the system off. :beta1::beta1::beta1:

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Yes that is a problem but its not limited to Mazdas. I've seen a number of similar stories involving other brands. The sensors sometimes have a hard time discerning objects due to positioning, lighting, detection angle etc. Its not only the brakes either. The lane keeping nanny can and will do unexpected things at the worst time. My SIL has a 2018 Mazda 3, and the Lane Keeping nearly caused him to crash into another car that was parked in the road when he moved to the left of the center line to go around. The system decided that was the wrong thing to do and tried to keep him in the lane.:surprise:

·
Registered
70 Posts
In 3500 miles, I had one incidence of the car braking unexpectedly. I guess that I was pointed a bit left on a wide street and it saw the opposing lane. Scary.

I found lane assist to be very annoying when I want to change lanes (I think it turns off if you set the blinkers but I don't do that if there are no cars behind me). I turned it off in the settings and it stays off. I tried turning it back on for a late night trip, worried about getting tired, but still too annoying .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes that is a problem but its not limited to Mazdas. I've seen a number of similar stories involving other brands. The sensors sometimes have a hard time discerning objects due to positioning, lighting, detection angle etc. Its not only the brakes either. The lane keeping nanny can and will do unexpected things at the worst time. My SIL has a 2018 Mazda 3, and the Lane Keeping nearly caused him to crash into another car that was parked in the road when he moved to the left of the center line to go around. The system decided that was the wrong thing to do and tried to keep him in the lane.:surprise:
Add to that radar cruise control. I almost got rear ended on the highway by a semi when my Highlander unexpectedly put on its brakes following the speed of a car in the lane next to me slowing and exiting the highway. Dealer said it was normal behavior. I won't use radar cruise control anymore on my Highlander. I tried radar cruise once on the Mazda 3 and it seemed to work better, but I wish it could be permanently disabled and default to standard cruise control.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't understand why the cruise control braking is so severe. In my experience just letting off the gas would have done the job easily. Also the following distance should be in seconds, not distance. A lot of Mazda's software is poorly designed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW, ok, this definitely worries me. But I odn't think there is any fix for it until more complaints come in or people get hurt :/

·
Registered
33 Posts
the emergency brake has come on once in my wifes 19 mazda3. We changed the distance activated to "late" and it hasnt happened since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the emergency brake has come on once in my wifes 19 mazda3. We changed the distance activated to "late" and it hasnt happened since.
Yes, I believe this is what the dealer selected yesterday to see if that would fix the problem. we shall see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts