2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well well, just found a rust spot on the roof of my 2017 sGT... looking forward to what mazda will tell me...

·
Banned
842 Posts
I agree with Bishamon.

Here is what I recommend you do.
Touch-Up "KIT"
Seller is : Shop Touch Up Express
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Touch-Up-Express/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_16091204011?ie=UTF8&node=16091204011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Touch+Up+Express[/ame]

And then after you touch it up:

High Gloss Ceramic Car Coating Kit, Anti-Scratch Exterior Care Paint Sealant 9H Hardness 30ML (1Pcs)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had the same issue. Went to the dealership and they said it was not their fault. They threw me a free touch up pen and I went home, scrapped off the surface rust with a pocket knife (rust never gets too bad in AZ), and applied paint. Good to go!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hit it with a little rust converter before touching up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird place for a chip, almost by the hatch. I'll make sure to remove the rust (Quebec is rust heaven). Just thought that the 7 year rust warranty would cover this. My friend got some panels chaned on a Civic for less than that.

Going to see Mazda Friday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Weird place for a chip, almost by the hatch. I'll make sure to remove the rust (Quebec is rust heaven). Just thought that the 7 year rust warranty would cover this. My friend got some panels chaned on a Civic for less than that.

Going to see Mazda Friday.
The rust warranty covers perforation from the inside, but does not cover rust due to exposed metal from stone chips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just adding to this. I have the same rust on my roof on my 2017 GT Sport. I noticed it this weekend while washing the car. It hasn't broken through yet so it is definitely not from a stone -- it is bubbling up from underneath. I do not have a pic yet but I will be sure to get one before I go to the dealer to check it out. Nova Scotia winters are hard on cars due to the salty air and the salt that is put on the road so I will have to get it fixed before winter or it will be a real problem in the spring. This local dealer is always a fight for everything. I hope I don't end up doing it myself but I see bodywork in my future. I got the car totally rust protected when I got it new and I have been spraying known rust-prone areas before every winter. Never thought of the roof. Is this still the 1970's?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am not convinced that Mazda's have truly changed from their previous "rust-bucket" reputation. I live in Vancouver... and it is a fairly benign environment for Mazda's. I see many First Gen 3's in good condition... and Gen 1 6's, too. If I lived anywhere else in Canada but the Lower Mainland / Vancouver area there is no way I would have bought a Mazda. VW, yes... who I believe do a great job on corrosion (but a lousy job on the electrical... as time goes on with ownership)...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
actually I just fixed some roof rust bubbles about a week ago. Same story, it's stone chips. I didn't check until it was a bigger problem. Seems to be the angles of the front of the car makes it more likely for stone impacts on the roof. Got the rust out and put some glazing putty over it, but unfortunately it looks like ass. I don't have any proper paint and my airbrush is trashed. All I had was a small bottle of touch up paint and a brush.....not so great when you're trying to cover a dime sized area.

So long as it holds up for the winter I'll get some paint and blend it in good when I have time in the spring.

As far as the rust issues, I'm not worried about anything worse than normal here. Any car will rust if a stone chip breaks through to the metal. The control arms and exhaust seem to rust out a little premature but other than that.... my 3 is still clean. Those problems are easily dealt with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts