2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..just looking at this rust collection on a 2015 that spent a winter or two in New England area...Is this excessive or I need of attention any time soon? It's similar in front and rear. Bolts here and there have it. Seems like surface rust to me but was a little surprised by it. Some build up on exhaust assembly but not along pipes. See pics... thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Depends on the weather conditions... salt/chemical spray on roads during winters speeds up rust build up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I understand all the chemistry involved. I'm asking if this is too much, may cause mechanical issues, what I can do to address the rust, if necessary? Or if I can forget it since the car is now down south in a climate where salting of roads etc. happens never...

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
Haha. Yeah I spent a hard winter in CT so I've seen what a NE winter can do. Thx for the heads up
Just one?...:smile2:
Been in CT my whole life, did 33 winters throwing salt and several other corrosive de-icers on the highways. Some of that stuff will kill your car in a couple years if you aren't careful.:surprise:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah southern boy here. Used to rust about as much as y'all are used to 100 degree July with 97% humidity. ???Thanks again for for straight answer to questions. Making sure this thing will stay on the road for a while before I decide to keep it. Low mileage and offered a very good price on it below KBB. Everything else checks out. Any other tips for what to do about the rust are most appreciated!

·
Registered
2017 Mazda3 Manual Hatch
2 Posts
It’s all right but I’m just thinking if this is normal at this age 😅

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Same here. 2 and half year old from new in UK, is this normal? Should I replace it soon? Thanks
Not sure why you'd think anything there needs replacing.

If you want to make it last longer, it'll take some work. Undercoating will help a lot. If you have a large compressor, it's very cheap to do on your own.

Understand that all cars rust. It is a matter of time. This rust is often referred to as 'wear rust'. As the paint comes off, rust forms a thin layer over the metal and actually helps protect it for a time. Removing the rust and repainting is also an option. I wouldn't do that for the steering knuckles or the driveshafts. No point on the knuckles because they are solid steel and the driveshafts you could unbalance them if you remove too much. You can always paint over them if you wish.

The control arms I have the same issue. My solution has been to remove the rust and then paint over them. After that I use a rubberized spray paint for rocker panels. Usually just reapply that once a year now.

The exhaust is a fun one. It's stainless steel. Not a great stainless but there's worse. All stainless will eventually rust. Regular paint will come off with heat as will undercoating. I have found a way but it's rather labor intensive. You will need to use synthetic steel wool pads to remove the rust. Regular steel wool or other wire brushes will contamiate the exhaust metal and make the problem worse. This means you're scrubbing it off by hand. Next you have to clean and degrease the entire thing. After that you'll have to find an exhaust header paint (it comes in clear). After you spray on a few layers, there's a whole heat cycling procedure you have to do it get it to cure. Idle car 20 minutes, shut down for a while, repeat. Or something similar depending on the paint. Oh and it'll come off after about 2 years give or take. If this sounds like too much for you, forget trying to take the rust off the exhaust.

But honestly it's not looking that bad to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts