2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Otakonx
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently painted my calipers with G2. I didn't remove the calipers but rather painted them while they were on the car. After a few days of driving I noticed a rotating rubbing/grinding sound coming from my front driver side wheel while coasting forward to a stop (or slowly moving forward). The sound does not engage while moving backwards or while moving while my foot is on the gas. I originally thought it was a rock or something that got caught between either the shield or even the pad but I can't find a damn thing. I've had the front wheels off twice already and each time the sound goes away but eventually comes back (usually after hitting a bump). Obviously, since I just painted the calipers I'm looking at that as the cause. Only problem is I'm out of ideas as to why. Is it possible that the paint is gumming up or holding the pad against the rotor? It's not a very pleasant sound and I'd rather not have to take it to the dealer if I can correct the problem. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
check the dust shield... you might have accidentally moved it somehow and its hitting something

·
Otakonx
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check the dust shield... you might have accidentally moved it somehow and its hitting something
Dust shield is good but when I was checking the shield I did notice only the outer rotor is being "used" (inner rotor seems dusty/dirty - outer is shiny). I took the car for another drive and the problem seems to be worse. I noticed the car bogs down when I take my foot off the accelerator so there's little doubt in my mind that the brake is sticking. Worse, here in Jersey we're supposed to get some crap weather for the next few days thanks to Irene. If weather breaks, I'll take the brake apart and make sure nothing is adding friction that would cause sticking. I've never removed calipers from a car with anti-lock brakes before so this should be interesting. If anyone has any pointers on this part please let me know.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I had the same noise the other night from my front right wheel well. Sounded like metal on metal grinding. It was my dust shield that somehow got moved while driving around town. Pushed it in and the noise went away. They may look fine but bend them in a bit to see if that changes anything. Good luck with Irene! My hometown is getting hit now as we speak. Luckily I'm at college so I'm not there for it

·
Otakonx
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. The sound is gone for now. I took the wheel off and inspected the dust shield thoroughly. I don't see any bends, rocks, etc but that doesn't mean there wasn't any at some point. I did notice two of my lugs were loose which is odd because I put plenty of torch on those things without over doing it. All other lugs on the remaining 3 tires were fine. I have TSW rims and the hubcentric ring is on correctly. No marks on the tire or inner rim to suggest rubbing of any kind. So I'm hoping it was a rock or something that eventually worked its way out. If the sound comes back I'll post again my findings. I think at that point I'll take it to a mechanic just in case it is something to do with the breaks.

For future reference, is there a tool to compress the spring clip that goes on the outside of the caliper for easier reinstall?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts