2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the 3rd gen Mazda3. I have had 2 first gens and have done a lot of work on them. I just picked up a 2014 hatch last week and I am hearing a rubbing or low pitched grinding noise about 4 or 5 times during my 20 miles commute. It happens on take off and it only happens when I give it a good amount of gas. It SOUNDS like a tire rubbings plastic or the carpeting, but this thing is bone stock and there is no way it is squatting that much. My thoughts are brakes are sticking some how, but it doesnt go away when I apply the brakes.

It basically makes the noise very prominently when i accelerate, then when i get to normal speed you can hear it on and off very lightly for maybe a mile. I'm kind of thinking its the brakes sticking in the rear? I have never heard that sound from brakes before, though.

I'm gonna take the wheel off soon and look, but just thought I would ask. Pretty aggravating since I just purchased it. Car was in too great of condition to pass up though so this is not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I believe there have been reports of the emergency brakes hanging-up on some cars. I'd check the rear brakes (and the front too) to see if anything is going on. Check the hub temps too in case some are giving signs of heating up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
There is a TSB on the brakes for this very thing. A sticky listing all of TSBs is at the top of the general forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have an appointment for the recall today. Last night I jacked it up and took a look around and found my problem. The car had a trailer hitch installed and the exhaust was just a couple centimeters away from it. I could very easily push it into the hitch and there was a little wear spot where they had touched. I took off the hitch and didn't hear the noise on the way into work this morning. I didn't think that could be it because it didn't sound like a metal on metal sound, but I guess with exhaust resonating through it and me being inside the car, it made it a much lower pitched noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts