2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased end links and a progress RSB, what is the best position?

Im a daily driver that just its annoyed by the understeer of the car...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,053 Posts
I never went for the soft setting when I installed mine. I daily drive it and have no complaints being on the stiffer setting.

It makes a huge difference in twisty mountain roads or anytime you feel like taking a corner with some decent speed.

In terms of smiles per $, the Progress RSB is at the top of my mod list.
CK

Reactions: elvino

·
*The Electrician*
881 Posts
I have the progress bar, in winter the softer setting in more forgiving but that was at the bare limits of available grip. I still ended up putting it to full stiff and ran it that way for the remainder of last winter. Its easy enough to swap soft to stiff between the seasons too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Currently at soft. I want to find the limits of the car and learn how to handle it before going to the stiff setting.

Other posts have warned about snap oversteer if the RSB is too stiff. I don't have the resources or the time to take driving schools or track days. I'm not foolish enough to think that I have the driving skillset to handle a car if it does something unpredictable (to me) for my current skillset.

So I figure when I get to the point that I can consistently take corners holding a line at speed, pushing my tires to the limits where I can get repeatable, observable and predictable understeer behavior to emerge again...and that point I'll switch to the stiff setting to tighten up the slip angle on the front.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Currently at soft. I want to find the limits of the car and learn how to handle it before going to the stiff setting.

Other posts have warned about snap oversteer if the RSB is too stiff. I don't have the resources or the time to take driving schools or track days. I'm not foolish enough to think that I have the driving skillset to handle a car if it does something unpredictable (to me) for my current skillset.

So I figure when I get to the point that I can consistently take corners holding a line at speed, pushing my tires to the limits where I can get repeatable, observable and predictable understeer behavior to emerge again...and that point I'll switch to the stiff setting to tighten up the slip angle on the front.
Heres the thing- If you are driving at the limit of the car or possibly beyond on a public road, maybe you should not be driving on public roads. For any normal legal-ish driving the rear bar at either setting is fine. If you are worried about crashing due to driving beyond the limits of the car, install a larger front sway bar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are worried about crashing due to driving beyond the limits of the car, install a larger front sway bar.
I'm not going to install or change anything unless its going to fix a very specific and repeatable problem.

At the moment, I am unable to observe any problem that a front sway bar is going to fix with my car. What's the reason you're suggesting an FSB here?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2 cents here. I installed the progress RSB straight to stiffest. Nothing to be afraid of. Your body roll just significantly reduces and you can go round corners at a much faster speed IF you want to. But I gotta say you WILL want to ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts