2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Still though, adding that restriction to street cars that are converted for track use could adversely affect the businesses that offer after-market parts. Many of us buy from them even if the products we buy are street legal. Ultimately, legislation tends to have unintended impact on other areas and I could see this being one of them. I don't want to pay more for street legal exhaust because the vendors loose a source of revenue but that's just me.
Actually, with current technology, keeping factory emissions equipment in place probably would not make a big difference in many racing classes, some even require it. In those where it might make a difference, somebody would design parts to make it work, and those parts would use technology that could end up in new cars in the future. I don't see how this would put any strain on the aftermarket parts business.

·
Working Class Hero
3,494 Posts
Legislation is one thing. But I think a particular sanctioning body woujld need to embrace it in their rules package and enforce it through pre and post race inspections for it to even matter. Seriously, does anyone think the EPA is going to show up at an event and check emissions?

Where it will apply is on road cars modified for competition and pulling a race car exemption for emissions compliance. I believe that is where this is going.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts