2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, and would very much appreciate some advise on getting a RP/DP and TMIC.

I have done tons of research and have kind of scared myself about the possibilities of damaging my engine/turbo with the RP and DP. I know that the TMIC is not risky as long as I get one that requires no removal of safety equipment from my car(crash bar).

I plan on racing next summer, and I want to MOD my car to the point where there is no risk of breaking/damaging anything. I hope this is possible because I can't afford to buy a new motor and my wife would kill me.

As far as I can tell, the only way to MOD my car without risking damage is to stick with my current K&N intake and my Magnaflow Exhaust.:001_unsure:

I guess the advise or information I would like to get from experienced modders(SP), would be which DP,RP and TMIC would be the best in terms of quality, gains and least risk, and what other mods would be a great addition based on my requirements.

Thank you in advance!

Willy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
there is no least risk setup. You can break the stock motor if you drive it to the limits all the time. Best option is to replace the pistons, rods and head studs. These are the weak components in the motor. Its expensive to do, $3000 - $5000 depending on who does it. This is my next investment in the car. Then you can do any mod you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. :cheesy:

If I keep the RPM's below 5500, would that reduce the risk of breaking engine components? I know the hp peaks at around 5500, so it wouldn't make sense to go beyond that point.

Also, my dealership seems to be very adamant on covering their asses when I inquired about MODS. They basically state that if it's proven that the custom MOD was at fault for the (eg. damaged engine), then I would have to pay for it. Which makes sense, but I would think that they would even lie to save their asses from spending money to repair something - "because you have modded your car, any damage can be proven to be caused by your MODS"

Bottom line, I just want to increase my HP and Tq over 300, race a little and not wreck my internal components. Will I get these requirements from installing a RP, DP and a TMIC?

Please also recommend really good brands asked from my first post.

Thank you for your help,

Willy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
my car hit 329whp and 360t on the dyno on monday.
ETS tmic
cobb downpipe
cobb intake and turbo inlet
hks exhaust
CPE engine mount
KMD fuel pump internals
most important is the tune
Home

you will need a tune to add these parts.
Cobb AP should be out by the end of year, if you want to be more aggressive, go with a custom tune

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by a tune? Do you mean flash the CPU to change the settings to increase different parameters? Is it the same as a chip? Sorry I am very new to this stuff. I appreciate your help so far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
tune is a reflash of cpu. Yes many factors are adjusted. Timing, boost, AFR, and many more. You will need a tune to add those mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I buy a devise to tune my car the way I like it? Or do I need to send a component away to have it tuned? Can tuning cause issues with internal components?

If available, which tuner would be the best to purchase?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
you can wait for cobb to release the accessport for 2010+ speeds. Should be out by end of year. You plug it in to your car and program it.
Or you can go with custom tune. Then you will need to log car, and send out cpu. I think they are doing remote tunes as well
Home
that is who I used for my custom tune. Ask for Joe and tell him i sent you:)

Reactions: willyH

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you have DP,RP, & TMIC you will most likely need a HPFP also.
You will also probably want to throw an intake on there. Good gains have been shown for our cars with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts