2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going about 50 mph tonigh I decided to roll down the rear windows to let some air in but still be able to hear the podcast I was listening to. With the windows fully down I heard this weird noise like there were subwoofers pressed against my ears. It only took less than a second to convince me to never do that again. Here I am about an hour later and my ears still ache.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you roll down the rear windows in a sedan at highway speeds you might hear what sounds like a helicopter hovering above your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you roll down the rear windows in a sedan at highway speeds you might hear what sounds like a helicopter hovering above your car.
That's exactly what it sounded like. I'd never experienced that in my old mazda 6 so it was a big surprise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cavity Resonance

When you roll down one window, you create a cavity resonance. Just crack another window or sunroof and it'll reduce the resonance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yea I counter this by opening the passenger side window just a bit and sometimes my own. I have always heard this in small cars so knew what to expect

·
Registered
817 Posts
It happens in most cars, it's called wind buffeting. Just open the windows a bit. On convertibles they offer the wind screen tha sits behind the seats.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts