2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what was waiting for me when I was refilling the washer fluid yesterday.

I live downtown so there isn't much of a chance it happened there, and I just got my oil changed on Dec31st and they didn't tell me anything.... so I'm wondering if this is due to a critter stealing my, probably expensive, insulation matting for their house while gone hiking in the country, or due to the loose screw on the lower left. The mat is kind of loose due to the missing screw/plastic washer thing.

Any ideas and what the cost would be to replace it or if i can try to get it covered under warrenty.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
471 Posts
hard to tell but it wouldn't just fall off by itself. looks like something has been all up in your 3's business. you'd have to check with dealer on price. not sure that would be covered...maybe act of God clause? :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It looks like there is something on the black plastic area surrounding the hood opening. I wonder if there was loose insulation that somehow sprayed up there, or if it's just salt?

Keep us updated as to wtf happened!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my opinion looks like something got loose back there.... a critter wouldn't just walk in and rip everything apart.... it would be noticeable if they did.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldn't rule out "downtown". Cities are full of mice and rats. I used to work in Washington DC, and you could see big rats hanging out in the daytime under bushes outside buildings. This is in the business district, not a restaurant back alley. It looks 2 sections of the mat are missing. I would go with the animal bedding theory.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had the same problem on my '06 but about half of the material on the underside of the hood was ripped off. Had to be some kind of animal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I couldnt help but laugh through this whole thread, too funny. But it does look like something ripped it off i cant believe that damaged was caused by a loose screw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion looks like something got loose back there.... a critter wouldn't just walk in and rip everything apart.... it would be noticeable if they did.
Thats what I was thinking. Nothing else is gnawed or chewed and It seems like they knew what they were looking for.

As you can see the white washer is missing on the left.

I'm still kinda shocked on the whole thing.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
so something else WAS gnawed off lol. since that's gone...it didn't just fall off. it was stolen...probably by the following fatty:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Animals are pretty smart - they have purpose to the destruction they do - they don't just tear things up because it is fun - not like humans. The stuff that is missing is exactly the stuff that rodents go after for bedding. Rodents are going to chew up other things that don't make for good bedding.

Yes, the washer/nut is missing, but if the insulation is pulled away that the nut is pressing against, then it could easily rotate off.

If something came loose and did the damage, then why is nothing else damaged? You have 2 areas of insulation missing in the picture, but the houses, wires and painted surfaces are intact. What piece of equipment would come loose and only do selective damage?

You've got rodents. I'm not sure why you would look to fit a more difficult/less likely solution unless you are hoping that there is a warranty issue here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure it was rodents, but I was just asking "If it could have been caused by the retainer missing" It is pretty loose.

Anyway, does anyone know what is behind here and should I replace it or just ignore it. Is it for sound deadening or heat protection? The sound I can live with as I cant tell any difference, but I don't want to cause damage due to heat...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would say the heating and A/C are behind there. I could effect the heating in real cold weather or the A/C in the hot summer days

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ummm, imo i doubt it was someone stealing your car by pieces. If they get acces to your engine they are better off stealing your battery and other components instead of that small amount of insulation. If your car was sitting still for a long time and the weather was cold, It could have been a rodent trying to make a little "home" or whatever you call them, and your insulation seemed like the best idea... just my 2 cents. good luck getting it repaired.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts