2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just installed my rd 1.25 springs but I don't like the drop in the rear! The front has 2 fingers gap but the rear has 3 fingers gap. Do you think by installing 1.75 spring rear will level the front? Thanks

·
Go Fast
222 Posts
Take a look at warlord's ride - I'm pretty sure that's what his set up is. Looks sick.

·
Registered
377 Posts
RM springs usually give an even drop. Did you make sure the springs were installed the right way? The tighter wound coils face up or down depending if it's the front or rear.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
My car sits even because I trimmed half a coil off the tops of my rear springs. I wasn't a fan of the raked look either. I don't go around reccomending it but I haven't seen any negative side effects since I modified them. The car handles good and I don't bottom out or rub. This is the look I like so I made it happen. My drop is actually 1.75" front and 2" rear.

Attachments

Reactions: haku

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I don't wanna cut the coil. So 1.75 will do the job?
I guess if you want to spend another $200 on springs it will?

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
I am thinking about cutting off half a coil to give the car an even stance. Buying a new set of springs seems like a lot of money to spend for something that can be done pretty much for free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I emailed roadmagnet and I'm waiting for the reponse if I could just buy the rear springs only. Please if somebody like this idea please email them aswell so there's bigger chance they will sell per spring. Thanks

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I am thinking about cutting off half a coil to give the car an even stance. Buying a new set of springs seems like a lot of money to spend for something that can be done pretty much for free.
Each half coil equals 1/4". Take it from the top, the soft side. actually I did a quarter of a coil at a time and then waited 4-5 days to see where they settled. Took some time but I got it right. I used a dremel with fiber reinforced cutting wheels. They come five in a pack. I think they were #426. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=426 Wear glasses sparks fly. Takes about a wheel and a half to cut through, about 3 minutes per spring. Not hard to do at all. I have no regrets.

Reactions: dunston

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Each half coil equals 1/4". Take it from the top, the soft side. actually I did a quarter of a coil at a time and then waited 4-5 days to see where they settled. Took some time but I got it right. I used a dremel with fiber reinforced cutting wheels. They come five in a pack. I think they were #426. 426 1-1/4" Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels, 5 Pack / Model: 426 Wear glasses sparks fly. Takes about a wheel and a half to cut through, about 3 minutes per spring. Not hard to do at all. I have no regrets.
Thanks for the tip. I have a chop saw that will cut through it in 10 seconds. I was thinking of cutting the bottom of the spring to retain the soft side since the rear feels like it is stiffer then the front.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I was thinking of cutting the bottom of the spring to retain the soft side since the rear feels like it is stiffer then the front.
No doubt our situations are different. Your on stock shocks and I'm on koni. The reason I went with cutting the softer top side was that firmer equals better handling and also if I started bottoming out then my experiment would have become a $200 mistake and I'd be purchasing another set of springs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anyone interested in getting 1.75" rear springs? I'm thinking of going with the 1.75" front springs with my H&R rears. Already on my 2nd set and still not satisfied. :argh 1:

Might be selling my RM 1.25 springs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone interested in getting 1.75" rear springs? I'm thinking of going with the 1.75" front springs with my H&R rears. Already on my 2nd set and still not satisfied. :argh 1:

Might be selling my RM 1.25 springs.
call road magnet if they split the fronts and the rear? I pay the rear springs you pay the fronts.let me know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts