2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 285 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Slow progress due to illness at my body shop, but here is a sampling of what was accomplished. It is just 3" width -- just perfectly covers the OEM small holes into which the "Mazda letters" are mounted on the rear hatch. The badge started out as a chromed metal-n-black one for $4.96 shipped (details in post # 6).

It looks beyond terrific in real life. The black is Mazda Jet Black; the red is Soul Red Metallic.

Taking a detour from the shop on Monday for the front end SunTek Ultra wrapped and the windows tinted, and if no more sickness at the shop, will be finished with this body shop mod stage on Tuesday.

Very different mod will be done itomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
As a personal fan of small details and things that look OEM even though they're not - I like what you did with that badge.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thank you. My friend who owns the body shop, saw my badge plan three months ago, and did everything he could to talk me out of it, pointing out it would take many different painted layers (SR is a tri-coat), covering over the perimeter with a graphic shop's cut, reverse mask stencil, that his shop does not paint over chrome -- thus first requiring hand sanding, etc. He urged me to find an alternative, so I went back to eBay and spent days going over their 20 pages of badges/emblem, and could not find what I wanted. My wife laughed at me for my "badge mania hunt."

Even bought three different badges off of eBay to try them out, but kept coming back to this idea.

When I went into the shop yesterday, after his first apologizing for some of his staff being sick and delaying my car, the next words out of his mouth were, "the badge came out terrific -- just as you originally envisioned it, and I am glad you stuck to it." However, then he added, "we will never do another one due to the amount of work." Did it cost me $100+? I am sure it did, but haven't a clue for I asked him not to separately list the costs for the badge LOL.

I am a happy camper and he, who is not known to be effusive, said later he was excited at how it came out!

It meets the @Chazzy J test of looking OEM too.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Whoops, a "slight change in plans." When climbing around the underside of the front, looked up and saw the chrome peeling off the "U" shaped upper grille surround. While it can not now be seen from above, only a matter of time for more peeling.

As that trim piece was originally going to be wrapped, as the front fascia now has to come completely off, what a wonderful excuse to get it painted. That will delay the front fascia being wrapped -- as no sense getting it wrapped, stressing the clear bra while removing it and replacing it.

As all know, John Lennon summarized it best in his song, "life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

NEXT DAY UPDATE: NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CHROME -- AS DESCRIBED IN POST # 32.

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,497 Posts
Just as a matter of principle I would take that back for a new piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just installed the Racing Beat exhaust. Another easy mod (if done by two). Many sound clips on YouTube, but this one is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/L2A4Jw2xp8o

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whoops, a "slight change in plans." When climbing around the underside of the front, looked up and saw the chrome peeling off the "U" shaped upper grille surround. While it can not now be seen from above, only a matter of time for more peeling.

As that trim piece was originally going to be wrapped, as the front fascia now has to come completely off, what a wonderful excuse to get it painted. That will delay the front fascia being wrapped -- as no sense getting it wrapped, stressing the clear bra while removing it and replacing it.

As all know, John Lennon summarized it best in his song, "life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."
Hard to see from here, but that looks like some protective plastic over the top of chrome strip. Where is that at?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hard to see from here, but that looks like some protective plastic over the top of chrome strip. Where is that at?

@BrianU, you were correct, it is a piece of black plastic that was covering the underside of the driver side of the "U" shaped front grille trim piece. It was so stuck to the chrome (as a protective covering), that in spite of several of us using a flashlight and a magnifying glass, we all thought, wrongly, that is was the chrome peeling off.

It took my detailer, who was installing the SunTek wrap, to use his heat gun and special tools to delicately remove it without scratching the chrome. As he said, "never run across anything that stuck so strongly as this piece of black plastic."

We all live and learn.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Got the entire front end, everything in front of the doors, covered with SunTek Ultra clear urethane paint film. Easier to apply than XPEL, and most important, it is glossier and clearer than XPEL, 3M and all the other leading clear wraps. And SunTek Ultra has a 10 year warranty.

Impossible to show how clear and shiny it is, for one might as well look at any brand new Soul Red Mazda 3 for no visual difference. In fact, when I brought it back to the body shop for completion of installation of my customized Appearance Package components, several of them did not believe me that it had the clear urethane done already, for with all of its edges wrapped, near impossible to tell the difference from before.

Will soon be posting more pictures of what has also been done, but here is one showing the AP's rear, lower "under skirt"/diffuser just about completed, with the last few bolts needing to be tightened and then the "removal strings" on the two-sided 3M tape taken off.

Above pic is also the best one of my Racing Beat exhaust so far.

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
The hatch "door"'s raw plastic pieces were painted, e.g., both upper, outer window trim "triangular" pieces and the two piece covering of the windshield wiper. Painted Mazda' Jet Black, code 41W.

Sorry for the dust on it, but still in the body shop:

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
The customization at the body shop is finally finished. Here is the rear of the car. Other than window tinting, being done tomorrow, nothing else will be done on this end. The rear lower under skirt/diffuser, is, to the best of my knowledge, the only one in U.S. with this Soul Red horizontal trim piece (that is an OEM accessory in Japan, but only available here in silver or solid black).

Attachments

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Wow that looks awesome!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Car looks great so far sir! I might paint the rear and possibly the front wipers too. I'm trying to get rid of all my "matte" black look all over the car and just missing the front and rear wipers. For the triangle around the rear spoiler, you took it off to have it painted? Right now I have them wrapped in gloss black, along with the window pillars.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Yes, the triangles were taken off and then painted; BTW, Mazda officially calls those curved triangles "side spoilers." There is a caution in the directions as to which side must come off first, for otherwise they can delaminate. The directions state:

""The side spoilers consist of a two-ply. Hold the area shown in the picture to perform the procedures. If it is pulled from elsewhere, the welding may peel off."

I have posted the complete Mazda page-by-page directions and pictures of the hatch's entire rear roof (expanded/larger than stock) spoiler install here for those who are contemplating that entire install.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/191610-oem-rear-roof-spoiler-diy-14-hatchback.html

And in that same how-to/DIY section of our forum, I also posted separate threads for the install of the front air dam/splitter, side skirts, and the lower rear fascia/diffuser.

21 - 40 of 285 Posts