2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my first road trip with the new car! I drove from Eastern CT up to Rochester, NY to visit with the fam. I took the scenic route through the mountains (I84/NY17/81) Turned the 1,000 Mile mark! I also reset my MPG averages before I left to see what this baby could do...

The round trip was about 720 Miles...

31.5 MPG on the way up, and 30.6 on the back down

Very satisfied with the numbers seeing that MT 3's are rated at 29 highway.

Loved the fact that I could be in the fast lane on the steep mountain inclines. I used to be the guy in the slow lane, trucking up the high grades, barely making it to the top. Now I can fly in the left lane, gawking at the 18 wheelers and inferior 4 bangers!

Other observations:

1. Holy Shit! The glove box has an entire shelf behind it! I originally thought the box was on the small side. So I was pleasantly surprised to find an entire second glove box behind it.

2. Song that best compliments the Bose "System" ; Wiz Khalifa - On My Level (off Rolling Papers) The bass levels in this song are perfect and made me feel like I was almost bumping a real sub.

Thanks, just thought I'd share my findings.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I went on a short road trip this weekend for a friend's bachelor party. It was awesome! I got over 400 miles on one tank of gas and hit 20,000 miles!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've already taken several small road trips in the first few weeks I've had mine. 6 weeks=5,000 miles. We're driving from Houston through New Mexico to Colorado and back in July. That's about a 2,500 mile trip.

The 3 is pretty awesome on the road. I can't say I miss my SUV at all - except that I don't really want to take it down some of the unpaved/rough roads my SUV handled without a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1 for wiz khalifa on my level! Sounds amazing

·
1,091 Posts
I rented a Mazda 3 2.0L while out in Maui. Of course it lacked the raw power and noise of my MS3 but it was still a joy to drive. It had enough pep even with A/C running fulltime to get me up, down and around and passing folks on the passing lanes. Even drove the Road 2 Hana loop (14 miles of wildly bumpy unpaved road, over 600 hairpin turns, 49 bridge crossings, 128 miles total) with the Bridgestones. I'd never do that in my own car but the MZ3 held up. And when I got back on the smooth sections, zooming at 50 in 25-35 rated roads was probably one of the most fun cruises in my life. Quiet, compliant and more comfortable, I began to wonder if I should let go of my MS3 for something like this.

Then I drove to work this morning in my MS3 and absolved that thought. ;)

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
I rented a Mazda 3 2.0L while out in Maui. Of course it lacked the raw power and noise of my MS3 but it was still a joy to drive. It had enough pep even with A/C running fulltime to get me up, down and around and passing folks on the passing lanes. Even drove the Road 2 Hana loop (14 miles of wildly bumpy unpaved road, over 600 hairpin turns, 49 bridge crossings, 128 miles total) with the Bridgestones. I'd never do that in my own car but the MZ3 held up. And when I got back on the smooth sections, zooming at 50 in 25-35 rated roads was probably one of the most fun cruises in my life. Quiet, compliant and more comfortable, I began to wonder if I should let go of my MS3 for something like this.

Then I drove to work this morning in my MS3 and absolved that thought. ;)
that's great! Did you go up to Haleakala? How did it held up? Last time I went there, we drove a rental charger and it held up pretty well..

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts

·
1,091 Posts
that's great! Did you go up to Haleakala? How did it held up? Last time I went there, we drove a rental charger and it held up pretty well..
We stayed in Kihei and didn't have enough time to get up to the Haleakala crater for sunrise. Next time I suppose. At 24k miles when I picked up the car, it already had some noise at full steering lock- presumably a bad CV boot or something worse. I also had the funky fishy smell when I first picked up the car but that disappeared after a day. It was missing cruise control, the sunglass holder and the automatic HVAC but it was still totally comfortable and familiar to drive. I played around with the gear selector feature in the automatic but it's really nothing like a manual and kind of jerked weird if I didn't drive it hard.

The tires are on their last legs, I can't even begin to imagine what state the shocks are in (from various folks doing the Hana loop) but it certainly held up with the 400+ miles or so I put in!

Damn you....but glad that you had fun! Think the MS3 would have been overkill on that road?
Considering the really low speed limits across the island, yeah it would've been overkill. But the MS3 would've been an absolute blast to drive on Piilani highway just before getting to Kaupo. Hardly any straight sections- you're either turning or going up and down small crests. Considering a lot of the underdeveloped areas are single lane roads with blind turns (where you have to honk while at the turn), it would've been downright suicidal to be going as fast as you'd want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts