2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am replacing the clutch in my 2012 3i Skyactive. Of course, I ripped the Lower Ball joint boot while separating the control arm from the steering knuckle. All the basic auto stores - PepBoys, AutoZone, etc. - will be happy to sell me a control arm, which I hope is overkill.

I can't imagine being the only person to screw up in this way, so I would hope there would be a way to replace just the boot - but I cannot find one in any of the stores I know. Some eBay and web stores I don't know offer replacement ball joint boots, but I don't know how much I can trust them that the boot will fit my ball joint. Moving on to the ball joint replacement, I found a photo someplace on this forum indicating that the ball joint can be pressed out of the control arm, but no indication if a new one being installed (although I suppose they did). I'd really want to make sure it is a reliable procedure - I imagine a poorly re-installed ball joint popping out on a 40 MPH clover leaf would lead to some spectacular consequences. AutoZone and PepBoys list a ball joint for a 2012 Mazda 3, but PepBoys one looks nothing like the one on my car and AutoZone one doesn't have a photo.

So, a question - has anyone replaced a lower control arm ball joint boot on a 2012 3 or similar? If so, what product did you use and where did you buy it? Absent that, has anyone replaced a ball joint in a lower control arm and lived to tell about it? If so, can you describe the procedure and tools? Barring that, I will trudge off to the store to buy 20 lbs of steel to replace a stupid piece of rubber.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts