2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2016 SP25 back from the dealer after it's second to last service, still under warranty. A $450 plus charge to be passed on to Mazda. All it basically is, is a checklist of ticks (doors open and shut, lights work sort of stuff) All they really did was change the oil, filter, and reset the dashboard maintenance timer. I can't believe Mazda pays that bill, I certainly won't be going back to them when the warranty finishes. I have had nothing but trouble from them over a number of things. 1. the cars constant oil burning from brand new. 2. The amount of oil they say they put in the car. They charge for 4.5 Lts in the engine, and another 1 Lt in the filter(yeah right). So how come it only reads to the halfway mark on the dipstick.
If I knew how to contact Mazda Japan, I would be telling them what I think about the dealers that they sell their cars through, and it wouldn't be complimentary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have changed dealer service departments recently also, because of their tactics of recommending service that is not required. I will try to avoid Mazda of New Bern, NC, like the plague. They recommended that I have my brake lines flushed out (price $159.99), because the fluid was dark. I had less than 40k miles on the car at the time. I went and looked at the fluid, and it looked like it was new, clear as the day it came out of the can. They also wanted to change my cabin filter (price $59.99), which takes all of 30 seconds to change. There is ONLY one way to tell if the cabin filter needs replacing, and that is to take it out of the slot and look at it. I asked them to let me look at the filter, then they said that hadn't removed the filter, they were going according to age and mileage on my car. I had already replaced the cabin filter earlier in the year.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think Ivant is in New Zealand. Service there is complimentary so they don't have to fork out $450 which is a lot for basically an oil change and doing "checks."

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This is why we call them stealerships. My local dealer couldn't handle bleeding the rear brake calipers when they were replaced under recall. Then they wondered why I did it on my own....

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Ok, so who is paying the $450 for the service? If the dealer is actually charging customers $450 for an oil change and safety check thats ridiculous. If that cost is just something printed on an invoice and Mazda is paying it, whats the difference? It doesn't matter what the dealer is charging for the service if the car owner is not actually paying for it. Mostly this stuff is the dealer ripping off Mazda Corporate. They do warranty work for the customer, send the claim up to Mazda and get reimbursed for doing the work. Sounds like that dealer is making a ton of money by overcharging for "warranty service".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok, so who is paying the $450 for the service? If the dealer is actually charging customers $450 for an oil change and safety check thats ridiculous. If that cost is just something printed on an invoice and Mazda is paying it, whats the difference? It doesn't matter what the dealer is charging for the service if the car owner is not actually paying for it. Mostly this stuff is the dealer ripping off Mazda Corporate. They do warranty work for the customer, send the claim up to Mazda and get reimbursed for doing the work. Sounds like that dealer is making a ton of money by overcharging for "warranty service".
Agreed. If you compare it to health insurance the doctor claims 1,000 for a service and the insurance pays 100.

Same way if you have an accident insurance somehow pays less then half the labor rate for repairs than the posted rate.

Sad world :(

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have changed dealer service departments recently also, because of their tactics of recommending service that is not required. I will try to avoid Mazda of New Bern, NC, like the plague. They recommended that I have my brake lines flushed out (price $159.99), because the fluid was dark. I had less than 40k miles on the car at the time. I went and looked at the fluid, and it looked like it was new, clear as the day it came out of the can. They also wanted to change my cabin filter (price $59.99), which takes all of 30 seconds to change. There is ONLY one way to tell if the cabin filter needs replacing, and that is to take it out of the slot and look at it. I asked them to let me look at the filter, then they said that hadn't removed the filter, they were going according to age and mileage on my car. I had already replaced the cabin filter earlier in the year.
Yes it would seem that they're much of a muchness worldwide. To be avoided at all costs, with the word "costs" being the operative word.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly right. But once the warranty runs out, if you continue to go back to them for servicing, you will then be the person that gets that exorbitant bill. I think I will be buying the oil and filter and doing myself for under $100, thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
It would be very difficult to justify $450 for an oil change. An oil change at my dealership is $60 for full synthetic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm alone on this but I feel bad when a manufacturer of anything gets cheaped out of something. Like when you hear those commercials about getting a "$100 dollar VISA gift card if you use us and an INSURANCE company to replace your windshield". Like, come on, why purposely rip off an insurance company? Maybe rates could be lower if they weren't getting assed out by techs and installers. Same goes with the healthcare system. Why is it that I pay $50 out of pocket for a check up but if I did insurance the cost is $500? Completely unfair to the insurers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It would be very difficult to justify $450 for an oil change. An oil change at my dealership is $60 for full synthetic.
My last oil change at my local Mazda dealer was around $80 for full synthetic. They also rotated my tires and performed the safety inspection. I can't believe some places are charging that much. As for recommending unnecessary services; before going in I always check the owner's manual service page. Unless something is broken, I just have them do what is stated there that should be done at the given mileage. And air filters should never be changed at a dealer, ever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny how it works in different places. Doctor visit for me is "free". That is, my taxes pay for it so no bill at the office. I negotiated a service plan to be included when I bought the car so oil changes are free -- up to 9. I save $85 for a synthetic change twice a year but I am locked in to this dealer. That was a risk but seems ok so far. Usual warranty labour rates around here are 1/2 non-warranty so mechanics hate warranty work. My brother is a mechanic and tells me this. If I had continuous bad service at the dealer, I would go somewhere else and just keep receipts for warranty purposes. Except in my case where I would lose big, if I moved. I just had one argument with them so far where they tried to charge me for a dash light check that I did not authorize. I don't have to pay for work I didn't authorize and after I got aggressive and told them that, they were "pleased to let me know that they removed the charge". LOL.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Dealerships or Garages: it depends if they're pressured to sell redundant services for their margins or jobs. While my Toyota was in service, I would get a phone call for a "Safety Check" and a yes would be $80.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So true. I get cards in the mail/emails, "according to our records, you are due for xyz". They get ignored. I guess that's what you get when getting dealer service. LOL

·
New 2010 Mazdaspeed 3,
6 Posts
I have the opposite experience

I’ve purchased 6 Mazdas from CardinaleWay in Mesa, AZ and have received the best and most respectful service from them on all of our vehicles. I even take my 2010 Speed 3 there, as they have an excellent tech who has owned 3 Speeds and treats all of my vehnciel extremely well.

As a Pastor, I establish relationships with people, and believe it or not, dealerships actually employ real people who have financial issues, relationship challenges and the same insecurities as you or anyone else. I do not receive a “Padre Discount”, nor would I accept one, as that means you pay more....wouldn’t be prudent.

I recommend that you take the time to get to know your service writer too, as they are the ones who triage, and do their magic to get your car done on time. To be fair, I have had my share of obnoxious salespeople too, but my experience in the Service Department is that this tends to be more professional and mature.

Just my 4 cents (counting for inflation)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2014 Mazda3 Hactchback sGT from John Hine Mazda in San Diego. I've never had any issues with them pulling extra "maintenance" on me. I've dealt with their several of their Service Advisors and never had an issue with one. I've heard them with other customers suggest some maintenance but just decline and get a second opinion if you believe they are wrong. You just have to know what services they overcharge and request they do not perform it; buy the part(s) and do it yourself (i.e., cabin air filter and the engine air filter). I live in LA now and have to go to SD sometimes but when I do, I try to schedule my service with them and mainly stick to one Service Advisor now. I've even haggled the price of parts with online prices I've seen. I don't think I'll ever risk going to a Mazda Service Department in LA. I'll only switch if I have a big negative experience from the one in SD.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my 2014 Mazda3 Hactchback sGT from John Hine Mazda in San Diego. I've never had any issues with them pulling extra "maintenance" on me. I've dealt with their several of their Service Advisors and never had an issue with one. I've heard them with other customers suggest some maintenance but just decline and get a second opinion if you believe they are wrong. You just have to know what services they overcharge and request they do not perform it; buy the part(s) and do it yourself (i.e., cabin air filter and the engine air filter). I live in LA now and have to go to SD sometimes but when I do, I try to schedule my service with them and mainly stick to one Service Advisor now. I've even haggled the price of parts with online prices I've seen. I don't think I'll ever risk going to a Mazda Service Department in LA. I'll only switch if I have a big negative experience from the one in SD.
You're on to it. Good on ya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.