2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So beginning of Feb I got in a car accident. I won't go into too much details but I will say if there is a snow storm be extra careful or better yet just stay home. Anyways at first I was going to get another mazda 3 but then realized that I could not make it the same without spending a ton more money since I had a full Aero kit and black rims installed. I decided that I needed a similar car, but one that was sportier and still be good on gas and I wanted to try a new 'segment' of cars particularly german luxury cars. I decided on a used Mercedes cla250. It would have been out of my budget but I was lucky enough to find a really good deal the car was only $29k with 14k miles on it. The Msrp was almost $38k just last year when the first owners bought it. The cla compare to the mazda 3 is a better car in most regards. The interior is better, it has more tech and features (when nicely equipped). It has some features that I like including ambiance lighting, frameless door windows, rear airvents, auto dimming driver side mirror, dual power seats with electronic lumbar support, garage door opener and it is faster than the mazda3, the sounds the engine makes is much more beast than the modest mazda. The mazda3 is better in terms of rear backseat space ( if you are over 5'10 your head will touch the rear headliner in the cla), the blindspot assist is better(the cla blind spot assist only works if your are traveling over 20mph). The suspension on the mazda3 is better, the cla is quite stiff (sport suspension they call it). I do miss the HUD from the mazda, the cla has a color lcd screen between the tachometer that works but not as good since it requires you to look down. The bose system is actually as good if not better than the harmon and kardon sound system . The Bose i feel like can play music louder and definitely has more bass. Honestly for what your pay for the mazda 3 vs the mercedes cla, the mazda 3 is a better value hands down, but at the end of the day it feels nicer to drive a Mercedes than a mazda.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I think we can all agree that the ride in general is going to be better in your Mercedes Benz.

Are you parting out your Mazda? ? ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the mazda 3 was totaled. It now belongs to my insurance company , the lights were destroyed on one side so i could not take out a set and chose to leave it in, the only parts that i have is the pac add a amplifier adapter, weathertech mats, cargo rubber mat, led interior lights and metal pedals, i took out the subwoofers and amps which will be in the new car

·
Registered
85 Posts
As long as you are OK is all that matters. Cars are metal and can be replaced. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I think we can all agree that the ride in general is going to be better in your Mercedes Benz.

Are you parting out your Mazda? ? ?
He said the opposite, which is surprising to me. I guess Mercedes doesn't know how to make a good handling car that's fun to drive while still comfortable as well as BMW...?

That's a good deal though. Out of curiosity, how's the warranty on it? Repairs will be much more expensive than the Mazda, but that shouldn't be a problem if you aren't going to put a huge amount of miles on it quickly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The bose system is actually as good if not better than the harmon and kardon sound system . The Bose i feel like can play music louder and definitely has more bass.
Sad for your late Mazda 3.

I am quite surprised to hear the 3's BOSE sound system is better than Mercedes's Harmon and Kardon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So beginning of Feb I got in a car accident. I won't go into too much details but I will say if there is a snow storm be extra careful or better yet just stay home. Anyways at first I was going to get another mazda 3 but then realized that I could not make it the same without spending a ton more money since I had a full Aero kit and black rims installed. I decided that I needed a similar car, but one that was sportier and still be good on gas and I wanted to try a new 'segment' of cars particularly german luxury cars. I decided on a used Mercedes cla250. It would have been out of my budget but I was lucky enough to find a really good deal the car was only $29k with 14k miles on it. The Msrp was almost $38k just last year when the first owners bought it. The cla compare to the mazda 3 is a better car in most regards. The interior is better, it has more tech and features (when nicely equipped). It has some features that I like including ambiance lighting, frameless door windows, rear airvents, auto dimming driver side mirror, dual power seats with electronic lumbar support, garage door opener and it is faster than the mazda3, the sounds the engine makes is much more beast than the modest mazda. The mazda3 is better in terms of rear backseat space ( if you are over 5'10 your head will touch the rear headliner in the cla), the blindspot assist is better(the cla blind spot assist only works if your are traveling over 20mph). The suspension on the mazda3 is better, the cla is quite stiff (sport suspension they call it). I do miss the HUD from the mazda, the cla has a color lcd screen between the tachometer that works but not as good since it requires you to look down. The bose system is actually as good if not better than the harmon and kardon sound system . The Bose i feel like can play music louder and definitely has more bass. Honestly for what your pay for the mazda 3 vs the mercedes cla, the mazda 3 is a better value hands down, but at the end of the day it feels nicer to drive a Mercedes than a mazda.
Euro cars dont last more than 5 years. I wont buy them unless you have cash to burn. I have Audi frd mechanic and told me not to buy them unless you have warranty... pretty scary

·
Registered
323 Posts
Euro cars dont last more than 5 years. I wont buy them unless you have cash to burn. I have Audi frd mechanic and told me not to buy them unless you have warranty... pretty scary
While this is true - that's also because a lot of audi's come with turbos and they're driven by people who push them hard. My BMW lasted 15 years and was just starting to fix issues like suspension, sensors, etc. It's very expensive to fix, but after 15 years in Canadian salt roads, I'd say that's decent. Not sure about Merc but BMW has a 12 year rust warranty, and I also like BMW ride comfort over merc or audi anyday. But I'm not fooling myself that german cars have good gas mileage - they don't. I'm spending 50% of what I used to on my car, partly because it's 87 vs 91 octane, but also because the gas mileage was worse on my beamer. The cost to own a german car is much much higher than a japanese car even without repairs: gas, insurance usually more, brakes/tires are very expensive, oil changes, just general maintenance. Hence why I chose my Mazda3, the best cheapest car available.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
So sorry to see that pic of ur wrecked mz3 but glad to hear u r ok. Thx for sharing impressions of the cla v mz3. Enjoy the merc!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm glad your okay, it looks like the Mazda did it's job.

I find your comparison between the "budget" Merc and a premium Mazda pretty interesting. So brand new they are like 10K different in price, do you think the Merc is worth that much more?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm on opposite side of this volleyball court ... just left 08' 335xi nuclear bomb at the Subaru dealer and left lot with 13' Speed 3 with 13k on her. I am falling in love with the push and simplicity of this new auto! I spent 7k in repairs on that 335 while putting 40k miles on her ... never again am I going German. Glad you are ok though!

·
Registered
323 Posts

I find your comparison between the "budget" Merc and a premium Mazda pretty interesting. So brand new they are like 10K different in price, do you think the Merc is worth that much more?
The price difference is greater than that. $38K is for the base model CLA with barely any additions. You'd be looking at $18K for the equivalent mazda. You're only looking at around $28K for the GT model, in that case you'd be looking at the CLA250 4matic AMG which is $50K.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The price difference is greater than that. $38K is for the base model CLA with barely any additions. You'd be looking at $18K for the equivalent mazda. You're only looking at around $28K for the GT model, in that case you'd be looking at the CLA250 4matic AMG which is $50K.
The CLA starts around 30K I believe. I thought where they first introduced the car, their big marketing push was the fact that it started at 29K.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The CLA starts around 30K I believe. I thought where they first introduced the car, their big marketing push was the fact that it started at 29K.
In Canada the CLA starts at $34.6K whereas the Mazda3 starts at $15,995. That's $20K could buy 2 Mazda's for that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

It depends on your budget and the features you want. It is like saying is it worth it to go up in trim levels in the mazda3, I could have opted for a touring i but went with the almost fully loaded s gt. This mercedes msrp was 29k closer to 30k base price but it had the premium 1 package and multimedia package, bixenons , spoiler, paint color was extra, and blind spot assist which added about 7k worth of options. I consider the mercedes to be a "step up" from the mazda. For me personally it is not worth it to pay that much more so i didn't, I got it used and save $$ to justify the price difference from my mazda . One more thing the keyless and pushstart option is standard on only the premium package 2015 cla models, the 2014 cla models does not have true keyless entry and no pushstart which was a annoyance. It is important to note that the 2015 msrp base cla is about 31k now.

on a side note car badge is a very powerful thing. When i had my mazda most people said just said oh nice car and cool. Even one girl went so far as to say nice car is that a Hyundai? lol. When I got the mercedes however people reaction were more like "omg, holy ****, awesome, and can i drive?" i hate to admit it but when i drive a car i want people to noticed i have something nice, i could never do that the same way with the mazda.

Reactions: actuator

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Glad you are OK. Sorry to see the Mazda go, but the Mercedes is very nice. Enjoy. Are you from NJ??

Reactions: Iceman04503
1 - 20 of 29 Posts