2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So a while back I made a poll regarding if you would install Rimblades (Rim protectors) on your wheels since I thought it was a very interesting product. I purchased my OZ wheels approx. 1 month ago and I wanted to keep them as protected as possible.Hence, I purchased the Rimbades in silver color through Amazon UK.

The package is relatively small and comes with:

1 x Rimblades rim protectors roll 7.6 Metres in length, (Cover 4 rims up to 22")

4 x Rimblades wheel cleaning wipes (Alcohol wipes)

4 x Rimblades adhesion promoter wipes (Primer wipes)

Here is the installation guide for anyone who wants more details:

http://www.rimblades.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Rimblades_New-fitting-brochure.pdf

So here are my first impressions of the rim blades protectors. The installation is not that complicated, you need to clean the wheels properly, then dry them up. According to the instructions the recommended temperature for installation needs to be 20 degrees Celsius or 68 Fahrenheit (I did it with 18-19 degrees Celsius). Then I used an alcohol wipe to clean the edge of the wheel and then I used the primer wipe and wait 5min for it to dry. Afterwards you proceed with the installation on the Rimblades, you peel the 3M backing tape and go over the wheel's edge line, aiming to be as straight as possible, the tricky part is when you reach the starting point, you need to have a good eye and cut the rubber and hope that it is straight as possible, some cuts might look better than others so a perfect look is not guaranteed and it mainly depends on how good you do it. After the installation on the 4 wheels is finished the cuts are not that noticeable unless you really look or search for them. The overall result is very satisfying and you can barely note or see the difference. I chose silver color since it matches my wheels perfectly, choosing a different color gives the look that the rim diameter is smaller.

Although the Rimblades have not been in my car over 24-72 hours, or for a long period of time I'm not able state if they will last or not, or how good they will protect my wheels, but at least right now it gives me a sense of comfort if a parking mistake would happen or anything else that might damage the edge of the wheel (For those who think they will never or have not done a parking or curb rash mistake yet then I must say nobody is perfect and someday or somehow we are always prone to do it regardless of how experienced we are or how careful we think we can be)

So there you have it, I will keep this thread updated after 24 hours when the adhesive has bonded better and when I'm able to drive over 64km / 40mph in order to test the installation and durability of the product.

Cheers and have a great weekend! 0:)

Pictures attached below!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the review. All the rim protection products have such mixed reviews it's hard to make the call on them (I was looking at the Wheel Bands brand).

The most common complaints I see are difficult installation (good to see you didn't think so) and most common, that they fall off or start to come apart. I'd really appreciate a followup in a few days or a week, just hearing that they are still attached would be awesome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another complaint said you have to replace them whenever you change / rotate tires. Does it seem like that would be the case with yours?

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Not personally a fan of the concept/execution, but those HLT's look absolutely fantastic on your car.

Reactions: Davidval18

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can barely tell they are there! I didn't know you could get silver.

I would have considered this option, but they are designed for rims with a uniform edge, whereas my rims have raised sections along the edge making proper installation impossible. I ended up looking for tires that have significant rim protection built in, and the Goodyear Eagle Sport performance all-season have a significant raised edge. They aren't a true high performance summer tire, but they offer good grip, good treadwear, and are quiet. There is quite a wide range of what tire manufacturers consider rim protection, many offering very little benefit.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@goolie, I think many users complained since they didn't follow the installation instructions properly. I installed the Rimblades 100% according to instructions. Regarding wheel change or tire rotation I'm not so sure if they will stay on, Rimblades states that the product can stick to the wheels as long as the tire dealer is careful when performing such tasks.
@Loud3, can you elaborate more on why you are not a fan of the concept and execution ? :)
@Bishamon, Yes you can silver, many other colors too. To be frank I would have not installed the Rimblades if my tires would have better lip protection, but since I'm not planning to switch tires for at least the next year then I want my wheels to arrive in the best condition possible for their new rubber ;)

I will hit the road in the next 5 or 6 hours, and hopefully the Rimblades won't come off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update!(Sorry I didn't update in the first 24hours I was a little bit sick)

So approx. 48 hours after installation, I got into my car and did some long distance errands to test the Rimblades durability and installation. I must admit I was afraid since many reviews complained about the durability but I think users just don't follow the instructions properly.

My verdict in one word "AMAZING", to start I wanted to push the wheels and Rimblades hard! so I did a 2km drive from 0 and accelerating to approx. 140km on the highway. Then after the 2km high speed drive I drove 8km in the highway in a speed approx. of 90km/hour, arrived to my destination and check the Rimblades, no problems at all! They sticked properly to the wheels and no signs of coming off! Awesome!

Afterwards drove approx 18km in the highway at a speed of 70-80 km/hours. Stopped in my destination and the Rimblades were looking perfect. Finally drove approx. 40km on a speed of 80-90 km/hour until I got home, the Rimblades did not come off from the wheels!

There you have it, long distance test and the Rimblades have not disappointed me!

I will be updating this thread in a week now! Letting you guys know how the Rimblades are hanging in there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts