2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Its not the wrong tire....its the cheapest tire that meets the spec so as to be compatible with the suspension design and meet low rolling resistance / fuel efficiency requirements. Mazda buys tires in bulk, and no doubt has low bid contracts with suppliers....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll respectfully disagree, for how I like my tires to feel, the Turanza is crap. You can buy my set with 1K on them, if you want. Meeting spec and feeling correct are two different things, but please roll on'em in the best of health.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Reading comprehension is important..........
I don't know what you are disagreeing with.....do you?.....Mazda OEM tires have been crap for a long time. Most people realize that in short order. The tires Mazda puts on their cars are what they contract out for, and what they get for the best price while still meeting the design specs and to comply with the advertised fuel economy ratings. The Mazda 3 is not a race car, was never designed to be one, and the OEM tires reflect that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Listen, my comprehension is fine. I call it the incorrect tire for how the "TURBO AWD" is setup. A better tire WILL give better performance. Yes, automaker have been putting whatever crap they contract for the best deal for and keep their MPG high enough to satisfy the government. Not a new concept. I am 61, been driving fun athletic(not necessarily all power, but handling) cars most of my adult life. They all became better cars by putting better tires on then.

I understand you fine, just disagree. I'm a new guy here, so the last thing I want is to get into it with a moderator. I appreciate the job you folks do on all the forums, for all my interests.

We can agree to disagree. Back to the OP, the Turbo will have a harsher ride, but it's a tighter ride. Better handling, the suspension was upgraded on the AWD T to counter the extra weight of a different engine. At least that's what the dealer and many online reviews have said. I believe better tires will help based on my upgrading to the G Force Comp TA 2 on my last 2 cars.

Later arathol, peace bro, no disrespect

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Listen, my comprehension is fine. I call it the incorrect tire for how the "TURBO AWD" is setup. A better tire WILL give better performance.
I think the problem is you aren't understanding the driving principles and corporate images Mazda is trying to project. Mazdas current philosophy with this car is not unlike that of Rolls Royce back in the day. Power should be "adequate", and driving the car should seem effortless and relaxed, without the frenzy of high revving engines and banging gears. Its part of the upmarket move Mazda is going for. The car isn't meant to be a performance car. Its not set up to be a performance car. Its rather more of a luxury GT car, not at all intended to be a replacement for the MS3. I'm fairly sure that the engineers at Mazda know how to spec the tires for their cars to meet design intent. Like the rest of the car, the tires are not specced for performance, rather for relaxed and refined cruising.
Are the OEM tires good tires? No, not at all, they are crap and should be better, but like many things in the current generation sacrifices had to be made in order to make changes elsewhere. Mazda needs to keep the car at a certain price point. Putting $300 performance tires on it wouldn't fit with that, especially when $100 tires would be more than adequate for the majority of buyers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nope.........wrong, wrong, wrong! Your looking at it like a corporate wonk. I'm just lending my opinion to what would make a better car out of the gate. My comment about the car coming with better more appropriate tires is outside the concept of what is good enough from the manufacturer, but what would make the car handle optimally. It's opinion....opinion, not your or my FACT. geesh. And you're a moderator.

On to another forum where ignorance is bliss.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Again with the reading comprehension.....I am agreeing with you, OEM tires are terrible and should be better, yet you still feel the need to be argumentive when I try to explain why Mazda chooses to use tires that don't meet your standards......
You can fantasize about whatever you would like Mazda to do. I'm just telling you my opinion of why they aren't going to do it anytime soon...and if you don't like your tires, just replace them like everyone else does.....geez....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for all that insight.
Why did you choose a 3 turbo over a cx 30 turbo? The 3 is obviously going to have a performance edge, and to my eye looks a lot better but are there any noticeable differences in ride harshness and noise when both are on their stock tires?
In my case, it was 1 - that particular black base 3 Turbo had been sitting on our showroom floor and only every driven by me (just to put gas in it and take it to detail to clean up and put in showroom) and 2 - no CX30 Turbos were available in our area, and I honestly can't stand that brown trim on the dash/doors/center console if you go with the Premium or Premium Plus Pkg. And I didn't want to give up the Bose sound system, and you have to get the brown trimmed interior on the 30 Turbo to get Bose.

And I know this is a comment for another section, but I will never get another black car - you look at it the wrong way and it gets dirty. Back to Polymetal for my next one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you haven't figured this out yet, I don't care why Mazda picked that tire. I've worked in the aerospace/defense industry for 40 years and have seen plenty of wrong choices made for the sake of $$$$.
Don't change the fact that the car is better for having the G Force's on it. Put them on yesterday and the car is now everything I expected, better handling at any speed, and less rude overall(stickier, yet quieter). Up here in NH, it decided to rain/snow today as I commuted to work @ 4AM. The car was perfectly behaved @ 75MPH in bad weather.
Leave your corporate arguments where they belong, in a boardroom. Real car enthusiasts don't give a crap. Seacrest out🎤⬇

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
If you haven't figured this out yet, I don't care why Mazda picked that tire.
Yet in your first post here you asked this question-
Why do auto companies put the wrong stock tires on cars.
Which is what I was trying to respond to.....
Don't change the fact that the car is better for having the G Force's on it.
Nobody is trying to change anything.......We all know that OEM tires are crap.....yet still you argue like you are the only one who knows this and its some great revelation.....
Leave your corporate arguments where they belong, in a boardroom. Real car enthusiasts don't give a crap. Seacrest out🎤⬇
Again with the reading comprehension......
Nobody is arguing about this you but you....LOL....

//end process/stop

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.