2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Reddit Mazda 3 forum that I follow, one person complained about the ride quality of his 2021 Turbo Mazda 3, and someone else who had traded a 2019 in for a 2021 Turbo chimed in and said the ride was indeed harsher. I'm looking to upgrade in the next year and leaning toward the 2.5 Turbo model, but I live in a city with roads that make the lunar surface look like glass.

Reddit doesn't always have people as savvy about cars as this forum. I know Dave Coleman mentioned the front springs were ~15% stiffer on the Turbo to accommodate for the extra weight on the front axle, but on back-to-back test drives, I noticed no difference in ride quality whatsoever.

Can anyone on here who traded in a non-turbo for a Turbo elaborate?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I also would like to hear from someone with extensive time in both . I too could not tell a difference on my short test ride.
Compare noise levels as well. I thought the turbo louder.

I would also like to hear from someone with time in the CX 30 and especially the CX30 turbo to make comparisons of ride and noise.
Listening to video reviews (hardly scientific) The CX 30 turbo did not have the growl or roar of the 3 turbo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also would like to hear from someone with extensive time in both . I too could not tell a difference on my short test ride.
Compare noise levels as well. I thought the turbo louder.

I would also like to hear from someone with time in the CX 30 and especially the CX30 turbo to make comparisons of ride and noise.
Listening to video reviews (hardly scientific) The CX 30 turbo did not have the growl or roar of the 3 turbo.
I thought the Turbo 3 was a bit louder but had a more refined sound than the naturally aspirated 3. The NA Gen 4 engine is quieter than my 2017 3 at full throttle through much better insulation, but it has the same basic sound, whichis somewhat blah and unrefined. I miss the snarl of the J30 V6 in my 2003 Accord when it would hit VTEC range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The turbo is one of the cushiest rides I’ve been in. Never driven an NA, but I’m waiting impatiently for springs to stiffen it up. I cannot imagine anyone wanting an even softer feel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd owned a 2020 M3 GT AWD for a little over a year before trading it in for a 2021 M3 Turbo, the back to back comparison impression is as follows:

• The ride is somewhat different between both cars, especially when pushed. On a normal highway cruise, there is little ride difference to tell except for the Turbo being slightly noisier, and much more power on tap when required
  • The 2020 GT is precise and on the more comfortable side, the Turbo is firmer and tends to understeer just a tad more going into corners at speed, but nowhere close to being harsh
  • This difference can be attributed to the more front-heavy of the Turbo, and the firmer spring-rate to compensate for the additional turbo related weights
  • Another point that contributed to the slightly more harsh road feel is the higher tire pressure for the Turbo (38/36) vs 36 all round, this is required, again, due to the additional weight up front
  • The Turbo is louder, no doubt, and this difference can be (partially) attributed to a the following factors:

• The tires are different, the Toyo of the 2020 NA is softer, and quieter; while the Bridgestone Turanza that comes with the Turbo is firmer yet noisier but with much superior road-holding
  • The Turbo rumbling do intrude into the cabin, pleasant and exciting, but still louder, especially at lower engine speed and during hard accelerations
  • The higher front tire pressure required made the jarring impact noise when hitting a pothole or some such louder
  • Another point (I am guessing here) is that the new front shocks installed in the Turbo have more damping and different valving than the NA one, resulting in a more jarring (higher impact noise) ride when hitting a pot hole
Methink some of the issues presented above can be circumvented by simply replacing the present tires with a nice (and slightly wider) set of summer performance tires recommended elsewhere in this Forum, and live with the rest. I really like the look of my present black rims and thus would like to keep the rims and replace the tires this coming summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd owned a 2020 M3 GT AWD for a little over a year before trading it in for a 2021 M3 Turbo, the back to back comparison impression is as follows:

• The ride is somewhat different between both cars, especially when pushed. On a normal highway cruise, there is little ride difference to tell except for the Turbo being slightly noisier, and much more power on tap when required
  • The 2020 GT is precise and on the more comfortable side, the Turbo is firmer and tends to understeer just a tad more going into corners at speed, but nowhere close to being harsh
  • This difference can be attributed to the more front-heavy of the Turbo, and the firmer spring-rate to compensate for the additional turbo related weights
  • Another point that contributed to the slightly more harsh road feel is the higher tire pressure for the Turbo (38/36) vs 36 all round, this is required, again, due to the additional weight up front
  • The Turbo is louder, no doubt, and this difference can be (partially) attributed to a the following factors:

• The tires are different, the Toyo of the 2020 NA is softer, and quieter; while the Bridgestone Turanza that comes with the Turbo is firmer yet noisier but with much superior road-holding
  • The Turbo rumbling do intrude into the cabin, pleasant and exciting, but still louder, especially at lower engine speed and during hard accelerations
  • The higher front tire pressure required made the jarring impact noise when hitting a pothole or some such louder
  • Another point (I am guessing here) is that the new front shocks installed in the Turbo have more damping and different valving than the NA one, resulting in a more jarring (higher impact noise) ride when hitting a pot hole
Methink some of the issues presented above can be circumvented by simply replacing the present tires with a nice (and slightly wider) set of summer performance tires recommended elsewhere in this Forum, and live with the rest. I really like the look of my present black rims and thus would like to keep the rims and replace the tires this coming summer.
Thanks so much for that thorough comparison -- perhaps tires really were the difference. I hated the Dunlops on my 2017 3, so I moved to Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus II, and they've smoothened the ride quality and produce much less annoying road noise. Handling is similar -- maybe a touch less sharp turn in, but better grip given the slightly wider size (225/45R18 vs 215/45R18).

·
Registered
424 Posts
The turbo is one of the cushiest rides I’ve been in. Never driven an NA, but I’m waiting impatiently for springs to stiffen it up. I cannot imagine anyone wanting an even softer feel.
My N.A. is on the harsher side of a spectrum that includes all the cars I have owned (30+) in the last 53 years, everything from a couple of classic British sports cars to several SUVs. It may not be the harshest, but closer to the bottom end than the top.
Even my 88 CRX SI (much improved over my 86) could get down a bumpy road at speed with less jarring.
It rides nowhere near as soft as my CX 5 and it is noticeably harsher than my 16 Golf was. Neither of them are/were slush buckets.
What are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 GT Sport 2.5T w/ PP
243 Posts
My N.A. is on the harsher side of a spectrum that includes all the cars I have owned (30+) in the last 53 years, everything from a couple of classic British sports cars to several SUVs. It may not be the harshest, but closer to the bottom end than the top.
Even my 88 CRX SI (much improved over my 86) could get down a bumpy road at speed with less jarring.
It rides nowhere near as soft as my CX 5 and it is noticeably harsher than my 16 Golf was. Neither of them are/were slush buckets.
What are you comparing it to?
I have to agree here - our 2019 was not a soft ride, at least compared to some of the competition. You can feel a lot of the road and road imperfections underneath you (can't speak to the turbo model but that is likely even worse). I had a '21 VW Jetta rental for a week and it was considerably smoother and softer than our '3 could ever be, as an example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Enjoying this conversation. Lots of paths to tread here. First, let me disclose I'm most likely the oldest Mazda 3 turbo owner on this forum. Maybe the oldest in the country? (Hint, my first new vehicle was a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. How I wish I had it today!) Secondly, I came out of a CX-5 Signature to the 3 turbo a couple of weeks ago. Why? The CX-5 was a great vehicle but I wanted a car - a refined daily driver, smaller, comfortable, lots of amenities like the CX-5, tons of torque, and 4-wheel drive.
I find it particularly interesting that the 3 turbo is receiving mild criticism because it's a little louder and stiffer than the N.A. The knock from the media and YouTube reviewers when the 3 turbo came out was that it's not a MazdaSpeed 3 - louder, stiffer, etc. I do understand those who want a MT. Most of my Mustangs, my MazdaSpeed6, Focus ST, etc., were fun. I don't care so much these days for that third pedal.
Having put less than 500 miles on the turbo, I will reserve further comments for now, except that the infotainment system is improved over the 2019 CX-5. But it's still clunky, needs a major overhaul and doesn't fit the new upscale, refined image Mazda is trying to brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in a city with roads that make the lunar surface look like glass.
Hahaha same here. I have a 2021 M3 Hatch Premium Manual and finding it a bit too harsh in San Francisco streets. Tires are 18" Bridgestone Turanza.

Are there any replacement shock absorbers that you guys recommend to soften the suspension a bit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
197 Posts
Hahaha same here. I have a 2021 M3 Hatch Premium Manual and finding it a bit too harsh in San Francisco streets. Tires are 18" Bridgestone Turanza.

Are there any replacement shock absorbers that you guys recommend to soften the suspension a bit?

Thanks
Is downsizing to 16s an option? I would recommend that first before a whole suspension change

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
595 Posts
Simple answer ... dont drive in SF and dont drive fast on bumpy roads .
If you want to mess around with the suspension geometry of a car that has a suspension to handle
that cars acceleration and braking and weight then take it to a suspension expert before you plunk in
softer dampeners and realize after that now it leans to much in corners and the ass of the car flys up too high in
emergency braking ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Simple answer ... dont drive in SF
Too bad I live here!

If you want to mess around with the suspension geometry of a car that has a suspension to handle
that cars acceleration and braking and weight then take it to a suspension expert before you plunk in
softer dampeners and realize after that now it leans to much in corners and the ass of the car flys up too high in
emergency braking
I thought it's an easier job. In this case, I can look into replacing the tires with something more comfortable. Any recommendations?

Is downsizing to 16s an option?
I prefer to keep 18s for the look, but if you know any good 18 replacement tires that will be more quiet and comfortable than the original BRIDGESTONE TURANZA EL440, please let me know!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
595 Posts
Too bad I live here!

I thought it's an easier job. In this case, I can look into replacing the tires with something more comfortable. Any recommendations?

I prefer to keep 18s for the look, but if you know any good 18 replacement tires that will be more quiet and comfortable than the original BRIDGESTONE TURANZA EL440, please let me know!
Bumpy roads ... slow down to help dampeners take on the changes in the road surface.
I have a main neighborhood road i take all the time. Drive it at speed limit it jarring at times. Drop it 10mph and its fine.
Im on Hankook R-S4 and super happy with them on bump roads. But my next set im looking at either the
Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and they are pricey

Reactions: perseus

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
197 Posts
Too bad I live here!

Check out the Michelin X Tour or Michelin Defender series. What you gain in quiet and comfort, you sacrifice a little in performance, but it might be worth it. It's certainly worth a shot. For reference, my stock was 18s with Toyo which had two sidewall bubbles, still running my 16s with snow tires on them now and it's noticably more subdued on the potholes. I also run my PSI at around 32 or 30 cold. Then while driving they heat up and rise to about 34-36 PSI which I think helps as well. If I am road tripping then I would even go as high as 40 PSI cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts