2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

381 - 399 of 399 Posts

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
Nice stuff, and good to hear about the dual drilled seat bracket. Please let me know if your butt position is any lower after installing those seats and mounts.
From what I have heard on 1st gen's it isn't lower, so I don't expect they will be lower. Judging from the brackets they will be the same. But I'll be sure to measure from the top of my head to the roof. My seats are all the way down currently and my helmet touches the roof so I may have to remove the sliders but I'll see about that later.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Got bored and procrastinated on homework so I decided to data log and send OV files to try to update for more power. Fully filled out and correctly entered in corrections from what I've read online for DynoJet and I get about what I expected in whp/wtq around 150/130. Very very slow. WTB VTEC please.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
Summit Point Spring Rumble - The car finally hit 40k miles.

Overall a decent weekend. My first time driving on a track since November. Was a lot of rust and the cold track didn't help in the first session. Got more comfortable over the weekend but the brakes did not make me feel well enough to push hard even with the new safety gear.

A friend who is an instructor(Christina) hopped in my car for the first session HPDE3 to do a check ride. First ever session in 3, on a cold track, with new safety gear, no classroom beforehand, point bys are everywhere, and my first track time since November.... yeah the first few laps were rough. Especially when I was told by Christina "You don't slow down for them, you stay on your line and make them pass you"... Yeah they don't mention that at all in 2 haha. Luckily the other DE3 guys were pretty slow for the most of the 1st session so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. After about half-way through as I was shaking off the cobwebs, Christina said I was good to go for DE3 :D .

Well, the rest of the weekend went fine for the most part. The seats/harnesses are a night/day difference. I can feel everything now. Was able to correct oversteer almost instantly now, where the stock seats I wouldn't really feel it until the rear was already coming around hard... A little slide through 3 and 10 was nothing and easy to control.

Giving point bys in turns was not my cup of tea at first. I would give but it was hard for me to trust the person when they would give me one. The first one I took we were side by side in turns 6-8 because I didn't want to push it too hard not knowing my limits much.

The only hiccup was a CEL that came on after the red flag drill. It was a MAF sensor p0101 code. Cleared the code, went to buy some MAF cleaner, sprayed it, and it never came back on :dunno: . Car wasn't running rough, didn't feel any loss in power, or anything. AFR's looked clean as well. Was going to run the car anyways with the CEL unless the car started running bad.

I need better brakes I did not feel confident at all with them. Inconsistent feel constantly after a few front straight hard braking was not fun. A few laps they'd be fine then they would go a lot farther down, I'd let up a bit then they'd be okay for a bit. I decided to just take it mostly easy on the brakes the whole weekend. The pedal wasn't spongy like they needed to be bled. I think it is just the pads. So brake ducts and new pads for Hyperfest I'm hoping (dtc 50s or 60s?). I'll just have to be careful with the pedal and street tires.

So far from video, I was running 1:30. Maybe once I get my brakes settled, used to the feel of the car, actual tires, and the rest of the weight stripped I should be in the 1:27s for sure.

Looks way less worse on video:

For the most part I ran consistent 1:31 as my faster laps by the end of Sunday. Only was faster(1:30) if I was chasing someone as seen with the rsx in the video:

Edit: BTW the top time for TTE (where I plan on going) is 1:27 so I'll be doing great.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts
Especially when I was told by Christina "You don't slow down for them, you stay on your line and make them pass you"... Yeah they don't mention that at all in 2 haha.

Giving point bys in turns was not my cup of tea at first. I would give but it was hard for me to trust the person when they would give me one. The first one I took we were side by side in turns 6-8 because I didn't want to push it too hard not knowing my limits much.

I need better brakes I did not feel confident at all with them. Inconsistent feel constantly after a few front straight hard braking was not fun. A few laps they'd be fine then they would go a lot farther down, I'd let up a bit then they'd be okay for a bit. I decided to just take it mostly easy on the brakes the whole weekend. The pedal wasn't spongy like they needed to be bled. I think it is just the pads. So brake ducts and new pads for Hyperfest I'm hoping (dtc 50s or 60s?). I'll just have to be careful with the pedal and street tires.
You don't have to purposefully slow down when someone is passing you in a corner, but you also don't have to drive 10/10ths like big money is on the line. Sportsmanship is key. If you get some space, you can practice taking corners off line in various passing or being passed scenarios in order to get comfortable and understand the reduced cornering speed off line.

Interesting feedback about the StopTech Sport (formerly Street Performance) pads... It would be nice to know how the same pads feel with front brake ducts at the same track. If good, then you wouldn't have to switch pads.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #388 (Edited)
@joey.lisano

I started to get used to it at the end of the weekend. In these cars if you let up a bit you lose a lot. So, when I gave somebody a point by near the end of the weekend I slowed down about 8.5/10 or 9/10.

I'm not surprised by the Stoptech. I knew it would eventually come to being an issue. Especially when @XCNuse said he has cooked EBC Yellows and such on track with ducts. So, it is going to be expensive but dtc 60s and ducts are going to be on the way. rip wallet.

Edit: I've stand corrected. Nuse boiled his old fluid that wasn't super high temp. So, I've also been told just do ducts over pads for money's sake and it should help a lot.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Sums up last weekend on the front straight:

Actually got pretty annoying passing people in carousel then giving them the point-by on the straights. Need moar power and a nice diet.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
It does, but really with all trackdays it's about who you're with. That Porsche is an example of what NOT to do. Just glad you're ok.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
It does, but really with all trackdays it's about who you're with. That Porsche is an example of what NOT to do. Just glad you're ok.
I can't see what happened exactly but nobody forced him to pass that Porsche going into a corner

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I can't see what happened exactly but nobody forced him to pass that Porsche going into a corner
Indeed, the issue was more how the Porsche is supposed to let a person pass after pointing them by not pull on them. It's an HPDE not racing. Also, this is HPDE before getting a racing license so they should 100% know better to not be a dick.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
Was he inside of you during the turn?

Did you get it fixed yet? Next time just let 'em go and pull into hot pit.
So she did slow down enough but still pushed it a little much and didn't give in as she should have, imo. Like it is said in the classroom if you give a point-by you lift to help them get by not pull on the person. It's not racing. Just let them by and be on with your session. I even do it in my Mazda3 when I point-by. I let off unless it is a car with like 300+hp who doesn't need me to lift lol.

Anyways, I ran a local auto-x a bit ago and gave my car a tow in my Silverado 2500HD Diesel I picked up recently. Auto-x went fine. Car had no issues. I won SMF class against a full aero'd 6th gen civic si that was stripped. He was slow and should've beat me. Dunno.

Video:

This past weekend I finally took my car back on track in HPDE3. I hadn't driven on track in since May. So saying the first few sessions was sloppy was an understatement... Anyways, by the end of the weekend I was down to running a 1:31:9 at Summit Point Main. I'm very happy with that considering how long it had been since I was on track and how the way the car sits now. This is only 1.4 seconds off the fastest TTE time on Sunday by some Miata. TTE is the class I plan on going to. In the class I can still lose some weight by taking off the front interior panels, passenger seat, and move back down to stock brakes with a DTC-60 race pad, 15 inch wheel, and maybe headliner. This should make me lose close to 100 pounds without doing anything extreme. I can also move to a 225 slick (Hoosier A7, BFG R1S, etc...). These changes can easily get me to a 1:27-1:28 at Summit along with pushing the car a bit more. I plan on moving to TTE late Summer or early next Fall.

Faster laps:

Playing with some Honda/Acura friends:

Fun stuff that happened:

381 - 399 of 399 Posts