2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
rpms drop faster when the a/c is on

hey, i've got a 2012 6 speed skyactiv and whenever i'm running the a/c it seems like my revs drop much faster (and i screw up my shifts because i forget about it). is that normal? its really of annoying.

·
Registered
570 Posts
While I haven't noticed this myself, the a/c compressor is an added load on the engine, so your revs dropping faster makes sense.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yes I noticed this right away. Definitely they timing of the shifts is different. Revs drop quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Yeah, driving with the a/c on is kind of a pita. You have to alter your clutch timing to not jerk the car.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
We've covered this a lot though. The extra heat under the hood with the A/C running and the parasitic effect it has on the engine make the car run shitty. Revs accelerating are a bit slower and starting off you have to use a bit more clutch and during engine braking it drops faster. But, usually if you have the A/C and it is like 70 degrees it isn't as bad! Just when it is hot out.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I know. I was just making a point. I think I have used it maybe 4 times this summer in FL, I usually never ever use the A/C...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its been in the 90s with awful humidity for a week here in nc (and im a northern transplant, i can't handle it ugh). i never used to use it in my bmw cause it murdered the gas mileage but i figured i got the fuel efficient model i may as well indulge

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
its the fact that the AC works on a clutch system that uses power from the motor to turn. the heat under the hood has minimal effect i would think compared to the fact that a belt connects your AC to your motor so when you turn it on it slows down as it now has to spin this extra accessory. thats why when you turn it off vtec kicks in yo!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I use ac a lot. 80-90 degrees with 60% humidity is awful. The car doesnt cool off after being parked without a/c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts