2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure when this came in, but if you have one of the original socket head drain plugs (the kind that take a hex head bit or allen key) do yourself a favour and go order a new one at the dealer. Mazda revised the oil drain plug and its now a proper 17mm hex head bolt style.

I knew my plug was starting to strip last oil change so I ordered the new one with plans to swap it next change. Glad I did because I completely stripped it and had to remove it with vise grips. I'd be screwed if I hadn't ordered the new one.

Or get one of the drain valve style if you like, whatever. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting. I had some warranty work done this spring. A couple of weeks ago I changed my oil and noticed the drain plug was different. I assumed they lost my old one... But perhaps they just did me a solid and replaced the old style plug with the updated one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, the original drain plug (allen) is pure junk. Good to see they finally changed to a proper HEX style

FWIW: For those interested in getting an aftermarket drain plug with magnetic tip, the thread size is M14 X 1.5. It's very common really...

·
Registered
762 Posts
I installed a Fumoto F106S several years ago, and it's worth the money for sure!

I would have bought it anyway since I use the Fumoto on other vehicles too, but when I saw the oil pan plug that Mazda provided and the requirement that a new copper washer be used at each oil change, it was a clear decision to get the Fumoto.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're supposed to change the copper plug washer every change on every car....its just that nobody does it.

I thought about the fumoto but I plan to keep this car a very long time. I'd be worried about the valve passing over time as it gets old. Not a concern with the plug.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought about the fumoto but I plan to keep this car a very long time. I'd be worried about the valve passing over time as it gets old. Not a concern with the plug.
I've had an original Fumoto plug installed in my old car for over 30 years. They don't fail unless low to ground and something hits it. But only reason I ran the Fumoto valve is because a frame rail is in the way of the drain plug. Outside of that, I still prefer a simple HEX head bolt.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call it paranoia if you want, but I know first hand that any valve can pass. Unlikely maybe, but I know that the chance of the plug leaking is less and the repair is likely a gasket. For me, its just a peace of mind thing. I don't have any problem with the fumoto valves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure when this came in, but if you have one of the original socket head drain plugs (the kind that take a hex head bit or allen key) do yourself a favour and go order a new one at the dealer. Mazda revised the oil drain plug and its now a proper 17mm hex head bolt style.

I knew my plug was starting to strip last oil change so I ordered the new one with plans to swap it next change. Glad I did because I completely stripped it and had to remove it with vise grips. I'd be screwed if I hadn't ordered the new one.

Or get one of the drain valve style if you like, whatever. :p
Would you happen to have the part # for this new updated bolt?

I went to my local dealer today and rec'd what I think is part # HE03-10-404. This one appears a tad shorter in length, and takes a 19mm socket. I haven't had it installed yet. I'm assuming it still uses the crush washer and is torqued to 22-30 lb/ft?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some of the oil change shops used to sell a quick-change ball valve adapter that allowed them to plug in a hose to the drain valve and just suck everything out very quickly. I don't know if that ever took off or not. If they weren't offering a discount on future oil changes then there would be no real benefit to the consumer. But I can't remember the specifics.

I like the idea of the drain valve and will consider for my cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I went to my local dealer today and rec'd what I think is part # HE03-10-404. This one appears a tad shorter in length, and takes a 19mm socket. I haven't had it installed yet. I'm assuming it still uses the crush washer and is torqued to 22-30 lb/ft?
My research shows that part number as the transmission drain plug.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
My research shows that part number as the transmission drain plug.

Don
Yep, I'm seeing that now as well. I dug a little deeper at it appears that the hex style drain plug part # FS50-21-249 is used as both the engine oil drain plug and the trans oil drain plug.. atleast according to oem auto partz.. maybe its the same with part # HE03-10-404? Might scrap it all together and get a fumoto lol..

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I do not have the part number handy, but honestly....that's the job of the parts guy at your dealer. This isn't an unusual part.

There should be no fear of getting the original plug as it has been revised. Only the new one is available for order now unless your dealer tries to sell you one that has been collecting dust on the shelf for a while. That'll be pretty obvious. Flat head socket vs hex head.

19mm sounds about right. I can confirm that the torque has not changed neither has the gasket washer. Unless you're replacing the oil pan, the bolt threads are identical. Torque is based on the bolt diameter, not the socket size. Since this has not changed (only the bolt head) the gasket remains unchanged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts