2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently installed a set of Eibach PRO-KIT Performance Springs (part# 5557.140) on my 2017 Mazda 3 sedan Touring.

TLDR: couldn't be happier, gladly recommend the upgrade to everyone (yes, even my grandma)

Installation: fairly easy, just a couple of common sockets and Allen wrenches are required. I would HIGHLY recommend either an impact wrench or a powerful driver to drive the spring compressors and a closed-end wrench to remove the shock absorber from the strut assembly.

Looks: the kit's advertised as a 1.0" drop in the front and 1.3" in the rear which seems accurate. I wanted to find a balance between the SUV/crossover-esque look that imho the stock car has and a way too aggressive stance that would defeat the gas saver/commuter/affordable positioning of the Mazda 3 and this kit certainly hit the spot. The car now looks much closer to what it looks on the Mazda website which is nice.

How it drives: in a nutshell, this is how it should have left the factory.

Handling: although the original setup is solid, I occasionally felt like it takes a little too long for the top of the car to acknowledge what the bottom is doing and respond to steering input. That issue is entirely gone with this kit, the car feels noticeably more planted when cornering and there's a substantial reduction in dive and squat during acceleration and braking.

Pickup/braking: because of the improved handling, the throttle and brakes feel more responsive and overall it feels like changes in momentum require less energy
Comfort: if anything it feels softer than stock, I would not hold back on buying this kit for fear of reducing the ride quality
Gas mileage: I definitely noticed an improvement, but I drive like a grandpa so your mileage may vary (no pun intended)
Side notes:
- your camber will stay within manufacturer specs with this kit
- yeah...you might scrape once or twice...until you get used to it :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been thinking about some springs and shocks. Like the pro kit "small" drop. Not decided on shocks yet.

I'm going to try camber first though. I feel the car gets worse the more you push it in stock form, if that makes sense. It feels great in daily driving and very mild "spirited" driving. But when i really push it in a corner it is disappointing, it particularly doesn't like bumps mid corner. And being in NY pot holes can not be avoided.

I will try to find the right balance. My first steps will be camber and smaller wheels with grippier tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recently installed a set of Eibach PRO-KIT Performance Springs (part# 5557.140) on my 2017 Mazda 3 sedan Touring.

TLDR: couldn't be happier, gladly recommend the upgrade to everyone (yes, even my grandma)

Installation: fairly easy, just a couple of common sockets and Allen wrenches are required. I would HIGHLY recommend either an impact wrench or a powerful driver to drive the spring compressors and a closed-end wrench to remove the shock absorber from the strut assembly.

Looks: the kit's advertised as a 1.0" drop in the front and 1.3" in the rear which seems accurate. I wanted to find a balance between the SUV/crossover-esque look that imho the stock car has and a way too aggressive stance that would defeat the gas saver/commuter/affordable positioning of the Mazda 3 and this kit certainly hit the spot. The car now looks much closer to what it looks on the Mazda website which is nice.

Handling: although the original setup is solid, I occasionally felt like it takes a little too long for the top of the car to acknowledge what the bottom is doing and respond to steering input. That issue is entirely gone with this kit, the car feels noticeably more planted when cornering and there's a substantial reduction in dive and squat during acceleration and braking.

Pickup/braking: because of the improved handling, the throttle and brakes feel more responsive and overall it feels like changes in momentum require less energy
Comfort: if anything it feels softer than stock, I would not hold back on buying this kit for fear of reducing the ride quality
Gas mileage: I definitely noticed an improvement, but I drive like a grandpa so your mileage may vary (no pun intended)
Side notes:
Any concerns about the durability of your stock shocks on lowered springs? I would imagine that because of the springs, you would have to swap out shocks sooner than later.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Thanks for the review. You forgot the pictures ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi everyone,

Side notes:
This is my next upgrade and I would really love to see some pics of this setup. Primarily side views. Also, if you have any "before" pics, kindly post those as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's a sample...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ahh, that looks so good. Didn't think an inch would have that much effect. And we can install these without any issues on the wheel angles or will this have to be aligned after installation?

·
Registered
190 Posts
you "should" always get an alignment after any suspension work to be sure nothing has changed.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Ahh, that looks so good. Didn't think an inch would have that much effect. And we can install these without any issues on the wheel angles or will this have to be aligned after installation?
Every millimeter counts.:)
You might wanna swap in front camber bolts like SPC EZ Cam 81260 upon doing Prokits. One for each front strut. These will allow you some front camber adjustability. Alignment is needed post-install. Recheck after they settle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Every millimeter counts.:)
You might wanna swap in front camber bolts like SPC EZ Cam 81260 upon doing Prokits. One for each front strut. These will allow you some front camber adjustability. Alignment is needed post-install. Recheck after they settle.

Everything I've read said that an alignment is able to adjust everything back to oem spec without a camber kit. At least with the eibachs. Corksports a different story... Has anyone needed the camber kit for the eibachs??

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Everything I've read said that an alignment is able to adjust everything back to oem spec without a camber kit. At least with the eibachs. Corksports a different story... Has anyone needed the camber kit for the eibachs??
With age, wear & tear, one can't expect everything to stay w/in spec. Camber bolts are neither pricey nor hard to install. Better to have em than not.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
With age, wear & tear, one can't expect everything to stay w/in spec. Camber bolts are neither pricey nor hard to install. Better to have em than not.:)

True, at 20$ a kit its better safe than sorry. Should I install them before i get it aligned or just give the bolts to the guys who will be aligning the car? Also, how long should it take for the springs to settle in before i get it aligned?

·
Registered
190 Posts
install them at the same time, save the hassle
have you ever done springs/camber bolts before?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
True, at 20$ a kit its better safe than sorry. Should I install them before i get it aligned or just give the bolts to the guys who will be aligning the car? Also, how long should it take for the springs to settle in before i get it aligned?
You may have the alignment guy do the bolts if you don't have a camber gauge. I always opt for alignment after replacing suspension parts.....w/ spring swaps, I'd recheck after a coupla k miles even if steering behavior & tire wear were good. OCD needs mind peace.:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts