2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m hoping you might have some guidance on how to approach this situation. I was backing out of a parking space when I hit a short pole. I was looked at my camera and it seemed like I had more space than I actually did, so I kept backing up. I didn’t realize it had frozen until I struck. I called my local Mazda dealer and left a voicemail wondering if Mazda warranty could help with this situation. My car is still financed and under warranty. I’ve never hit something before and so any advice or guidance on how to best approach this would be much appreciated!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Hi all, I’m hoping you might have some guidance on how to approach this situation. I was backing out of a parking space when I hit a short pole. I was looked at my camera and it seemed like I had more space than I actually did, so I kept backing up. I didn’t realize it had frozen until I struck. I called my local Mazda dealer and left a voicemail wondering if Mazda warranty could help with this situation. My car is still financed and under warranty. I’ve never hit something before and so any advice or guidance on how to best approach this would be much appreciated!
The camera is covered under warranty, from defects and everything else is the drivers responsibility.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Essentially, I’ll just have to fix this on my own?
It's in the owners manual:

Always drive carefully confirming the safety of the rear and the surrounding conditions by looking directly with your eyes:
Reversing the vehicle by only looking at the screen is dangerous as it may cause an accident or a collision with an object. The rear view monitor is only a visual assist device when reversing the vehicle. The images on the screen may be different from the actual conditions.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Essentially, I’ll just have to fix this on my own?
It's in the owners manual:

Always drive carefully confirming the safety of the rear and the surrounding conditions by looking directly with your eyes:
Reversing the vehicle by only looking at the screen is dangerous as it may cause an accident or a collision with an object. The rear view monitor is only a visual assist device when reversing the vehicle. The images on the screen may be different from the actual conditions.
Translation "We invented this awesome new gadget that is designed to be helpful. In actual fact, our gadget does not help you when shit hits the fan(you hit something, or someone). If you actually use our cool new gadget that we made you pay for(because nothing in life is ever truly free) the you are a frickin moron. "

I know, very roughly and loosely translated, but shit if that isn't the actual truth here then I dunno what is.

Reactions: MeteorGray

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 GT, 4-door came with dealer-installed rear parking sensors. They come in handy in situations as you have described.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
Translation "We invented this awesome new gadget that is designed to be helpful. In actual fact, our gadget does not help you when shit hits the fan(you hit something, or someone). If you actually use our cool new gadget that we made you pay for(because nothing in life is ever truly free) the you are a frickin moron. "

I know, very roughly and loosely translated, but shit if that isn't the actual truth here then I dunno what is.
Owner manuals are legal waivers of liability

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts

Owner manuals are legal waivers of liability
I understand this, my statement doesn't change tho. Its a chickenshit maneuver for an automotive company to design something like this and then hide behind the red tape when shit hits the fan. Yes, I know, welcome to 2018, wonderful world we've created ?

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m going to check out the site that marcik4 linked, so thank you for that! I understand that Mazda or any company wouldn’t want to cover stuff like this because user error, etc. It just really sucks because now I have this dumb basketball size dent on my car and I’ll have to pay out of pocket to fix it. And honestly, if companies are going to be stocking cars with more tech, at least create smarter programs that will catch a malfunction and do something quickly in response...i.e. don’t let the camera freeze on a frame, instead go black because if I saw that my screen went black, then I’ll hit the brakes and look around some more. It’s not that hard to program these things...I even programmed software in college and I’m not that great of a programmer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Example of before and after bumper damage

I feel you pain lillyrod. But I agree with MrBen. It is possible to have minor bumper damage repaired fairly economically if you find the right person. I had a mobile repair person come to my house and fix my bumper after I backed out of a parking space. See before and after pictures. No rear camera and I was looking over my right shoulder to look for other cars and turned the car too soon to miss the pole on the left. I avoid parking near poles ever since. If I have too, I put a something reminder at the steering wheel about to look both ways to be sure I am clearing the pole.

This damage was on a 2005 Honda Civic. That car is not gone, and I drive a Forester now while my husband has the 2018 Mazda 3 MT - LOVE that car and drive it whenever I can.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts