2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to reverse into a car park from the the side of another car the other day, and what a performance it was. I just couldn't see where I was going when backing in. The problem was the back and side windows are too small, and too high. In the end I didn't want to risk scraping the back wheel, so I gave up and drove off, and parked down the road in a drive in-reverse-out car park. I was wondering if it was just me, but I had to do the same thing a few days latter in another car, that had bigger back and side windows, and had no trouble at all. I'm finding that these smaller back and side windows can be a bit of a pain when reversing, and even worse at night. Bring back bigger windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It definitely does seem to lack in the visibility department. The below have really helped me with backing up/parking.

1. Reverse Camera (came with car)
2. Set the side view mirror wider for a better angle. I keep a sliver of my car in view to keep perspective.
3. I removed the rear head rests for better visibility out the window.

My previous car was an 04 Passat wagon which had 7 windows. Was basically like driving in a fish tank.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Bring back bigger windows.
Bring back proper driver training. Learn to use the mirrors, stop trying to look out the rear windows and stop relying on cameras. I can parallel park a dump truck using just the mirrors to with inches of the curb. I can't think of any reason why anyone who has passed a proper drivers test should not be able to do it with a car as small as a Mazda 3.

·
Working Class Hero
3,707 Posts
Bring back proper driver training. Learn to use the mirrors, stop trying to look out the rear windows and stop relying on cameras. I can parallel park a dump truck using just the mirrors to with inches of the curb. I can't think of any reason why anyone who has passed a proper drivers test should not be able to do it with a car as small as a Mazda 3.
Amen, brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
It' a matter of practice IMO. Especially with an unfamiliar car. Knowing how to use the mirrors is the best. But if you have a camera, knowing exactly where the limits are on the camera view relative to the overlay guidelines is huge. I suggest going to a parking lot with some objects you don't mind hitting (buckets, boxes, etc) and placing them right behind or beside the car. Then take a really good look at them in the mirrors and the backup camera. Note their size and placement within the view against how far from the car you know that you placed them. The mirrors., particularly the the passenger side one, distort the image (in order to provide a wide-angle view) so you have to relearn how to judge distance on it. Same with the backup cam. Note where you can't see the objects so you know the extent of your blind spots. On the camera note exactly where the objects are in relation to the guidelines. That last one can enable you to back right up on an object behind you and not hit it.

D7

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I can say to this, is that it must be nice to be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
All I can say to this, is that it must be nice to be perfect.
It would be nice if all the other drivers out there could park without banging into other cars because they don't know how to drive.
I learned to drive a long time ago, when you actually had to know much more than put the car in drive and not hit something to get a drivers license. You actually had to park, parallel park, reverse park etc to pass the test, and no looking over the shoulder either or you would fail.
CDL test is harder, backing to within inches of the cones using the mirrors and only able to reposition no more than twice to pass. Everybody who gets a drivers license should have to actually learn how to drive a car, not just make it go in the right general direction.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, driving is a bit like engineering. If you don't get it right, things can go seriously wrong for life and limb. There's some things that are just basic skills that should be learned before earning a license. Properly being able to "put a car away" safely would be on that list.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back in my day we parked backwards uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes... and damn it we liked it! Now you kids get off my lawn! :banana:

But seriously... it just takes practice. I agree that rear visibility could be better in the 3, but I can back-in or parallel park my hatch easily. Why? Because I do it almost daily. But I can't back up a trailer worth a crap. Why? Because I only do it once about every 10 years.

Practice with cones or cardboard boxes, and learn to trust your mirrors (and camera as a secondary helper). After a few tries you'll have a very good feel for where the car is in space and it will become easy.

Or get some old geezer like arathol to give you lessons. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I drive trucks with no back or side windows and they usually have messed up mirrors with no issues. So it all comes down to what your used to and how much of a driver you really are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts