2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped from a 2005 3 to a 2018 3 hatch 2.5 and am getting used to all the computerized changes.

I've noticed that the RPMs rise slightly when I put the car into 1st at stop - as if the car is anticipating that I will rev higher and take off soon. Is this my imagination, or has Mazda programmed this in for the driving experience?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm going to assume that you're driving manual since you haven't bothered to tell us.

Make sure you're pushing the clutch pedal down fully before shifting. With the clutch pressed in you're essentially in neutral. The engine should be disconnected from the trans so it should have no effect. The clutch bite point is very low in our cars.

Also do know that rev hang is a characteristic. Its due to the emissions systems and just how the engine works. Annoys me, but hey. Not much to do about it.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,271 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. The gen 3 vs gen 1 is drastically better and the auto tranny blimps the throttle downshifting

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
I have the 2.5L manual and yes, the engine does raise the RPMs a bit seemingly in anticipation of adding the load on the motor when taking off from a stop. Maybe about 150 rpms or so (I never really checked). I don't know what difference it makes since you have to step on the gas to get moving anyway. Maybe added protection against stalling if you don't give it enough throttle to begin with.

One thing I am curious about is that I have been hearing people say that the clutch engagement point is very low on our cars. I have also ready people say that it is very high. Mine is very high, almost at the very top of the overall pedal travel. Did they adjust the clutch engagement on later gen3 models to be lower? Sorry, off topic. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Mine is a 2015 so I'd say probably not.

That engagement point is adjusted by the pedal stops and must be within spec so the bearing, fork and pressure plate are set up correctly. They'll be a little different from one car to the next just for small manufacturing variances.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With my 2015 UK spec 2.2 D I think it is the clutch pedal that affects the revs, right foot clear of the accelerator, clutch depress. in 1st gear now lift the clutch pedal slowly. before it bites the revs rise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts