2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to set a rev limiter without doing a full tune? I know the orange Virus tune allows you to adjust the rev limiter, but I want to know if there is a cheaper way to do it. I'm looking to lower it to maybe 5,500-6,000 rpm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cheapest way I know is to keep your boot off the floorboard - works for me every time...

-CD-
Hahaha, that's true. But I'm looking into a rev limiter because I love the sound of it. I know you can buy those chips on eBay for cheap but I don't know if anyone has had experience with them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Judging by your comment you're not looking for a rev limiter. I'd say you're looking for an engine note amplifier that feeds into your car stereo.
I'll leave that to the mustang ecoboost owners hahaha. In case you were being serious this is what I'm talking about. http://youtu.be/Qbu0hasYuVM
The guy in the video is running the OV tune which is over $500 for a simple ECU re flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I researched some and could only find that the rev limiter can be manually set only through tuning. Anyone else have anything to share?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I see what you're after. It didn't make sense to me to want to lower the rev limiter to get a better sound. You like that note bouncing effect. You would be losing out on some max torque band. I think the torque band drops around 6000 however it's the added shift time from bouncing on the limiter plus lower rpm shift point that would make a negative effect. Shifting at lower rpms means that your next gear will begin at a much lower rpm which our cars is not designed to give perfomance power. A subaru sti perhaps, a diesel motor definitly maybe even a mazdaspeed. All depends on what kind of fuel mapping you have which again comes down to tuning your car to get this done properly. Slapping a chip on there with our current manufacturers fuel mapping doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I hate hitting the limiter on my auto trans in manual mode because it makes the car hesitate and delays the gear change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 07 2.0L Mazda3 i touring and want to get a 2 step for it. I have three questions: Is this even possible for my car, is it worth it/disadvantages, and if the first question is yes then where would I find one? Really new to all of this so please go easy on me if I'm an idiot.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I have an 07 2.0L Mazda3 i touring and want to get a 2 step for it. I have three questions: Is this even possible for my car, is it worth it/disadvantages, and if the first question is yes then where would I find one? Really new to all of this so please go easy on me if I'm an idiot.
Basic Maintenance?

ModZ:surprise:
Extra bit of performance - Muffler / K&N air filter?
Better suspension - shocks/springs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha I actually just replaced the shocks because they were completely destroyed like actually busted off the mount, aaand i was saving up for a K5 and a new exhaust system buuuuut that's probably a month or two down the road

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Haha I actually just replaced the shocks because they were completely destroyed like actually busted off the mount, aaand i was saving up for a K5 and a new exhaust system buuuuut that's probably a month or two down the road
The rear ones have thin bolts welded to the body. Living in a snow belt area corrodes everything:frown2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea very true, this car lived in Minnesota for most of its life so a lot of salt too. When I got new rotors, the old ones weren't rusted on... they were just welded with salt it was such a pain to get them off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts