2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I googled these exact part numbers and found a German parts reseller that ships internationally (given that they can source the part from Mazda EU). All of the quoted parts numbers are on the website, but have an exorbitant cost relative to prices from the US. It seems as it is the only OEM option for now, however.
Roughly what Im going to pay to get it bought by my dealer in Poland.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I googled these exact part numbers and found a German parts reseller that ships internationally (given that they can source the part from Mazda EU). All of the quoted parts numbers are on the website, but have an exorbitant cost relative to prices from the US. It seems as it is the only OEM option for now, however.
I read my post again, and I just wanted to clarify(could have worded it better), when I said the part numbers are different, I meant what was posted before, CX-30 numbers from another region, but as you said due to logistics some numbers can be different even though the parts are same.

These numbers are the same for both Mazda3 and CX-30 in the same region:

BCNP-61-13Y A/C case
BCNP-61-8A1 Duct 1 (FWD)
BFSR-61-8A1 Duct 1 (AWD)
BCML-61-8A2B Duct 2 (FWD)
BFSR-61-8A2B Duct 2 (AWD)

The rear console however, as you pointed out, has a different number since it's a completely different part and not interchangeable between 3 and CX-30

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
Pricing information for US:

A/C assembly (and actuator [optional]) from the CX-30 can be purchased at any US parts department for $50 after taxes. The rest (ducts + rear panel) can be purchased through a German parts reseller, with a total of 450 euros after shipping and VAT (~$530 USD).
Total cost appears to be ~$600.

Haven't pulled the trigger myself (yet), as the cost was much higher than I anticipated.

Compatibility update:
I took my console apart to look at the rear vent hole that's plugged. I tried to pry out the plugged portion with a flathead, but had no luck. It looks like it's not a removable stopper, but rather plastic that's part of the whole assembly. We're probably going to have to cut a hole.
A/C unit assembly part numbers corroborate that there is a difference (BDTW61130A for Mazda 3 vs. BDTS61130A for CX-30).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
It wouldn't make a sense to make it a whole assembly, would it tho? I still believe its a plug that you just have to pry in the right place...

Doens't this part open up? You could check then whats on the other side of the assumed plug.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
It wouldn't make a sense to make it a whole assembly, would it tho? I still believe its a plug that you just have to pry in the right place...
Doens't this part open up? You could check then whats on the other side of the assumed plug.
I really hope it is a plug, but am now pretty sure it isn't.

I think the overall structure is identical, but the manufacturing process has been designed so that they can easily fill the holes with structural plastic. For example, the hole for the A/C case bolt is completely blocked off by plastic (not a plug, it's part of the whole plastic unit).

When I ran the A/C and put my hand on the plugged area, it felt cold to the touch. Everything should still work, provided that a hole is cut into the structural plastic.
I'll know for sure once I receive the A/C case.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Are you going to cut a hole there? Just wondering so one of us is the first to try it out lol

I want to do that at the dealers so i also want to let them know what to actually do there, if they dont get the instructions from Mazda Poland

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback
19 Posts
That is 100% not a plug and will need to be cut. I purchased a heater box from a Mazda 6 that has the cutout for the rear vents and the vent piece easily snaps into place in that hole. The one in my car has the same spot but the piece does not snap in and out of place as mine didn't come with rear vents. Basically, if your car didn't come with rear vents, you have to cut.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
Are you going to cut a hole there? Just wondering so one of us is the first to try it out lol

I want to do that at the dealers so i also want to let them know what to actually do there, if they dont get the instructions from Mazda Poland
I will if I can ensure compatibility and commit to the $500 for the EU-sourced parts. There would be no turning back after cutting the plastic; without the ducting and vents there would just be a massive air leak inside the center console.
I feel that your Mazda dealer may be quite hesitant to do the retrofit if it involves irreversibly modifying a OEM part (i.e. cutting into the plastic A/C unit).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Any idea what is the cost of the whole "plastic" that we would cut out this from?

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
Any idea what is the cost of the whole "plastic" that we would cut out this from?
As far as I'm aware, the plastic housing is not sold as a single part. If you look at the parts diagram, you'll notice #10 is the plastic, but is only sold as a part of the whole A/C unit (#1; ~$580).
I'm going to be extremely careful if/when I cut (heated razor blade), and use epoxy to re-plug the hole if I have to abort.

I picked up the A/C case (CX-30 part) from my dealer. The actuator comes pre-assembled with the A/C case, so you don't have to buy the actuator separately (though it doesn't come with the cable necessary to wire it; I'm not going to bother).
I tried fitting it to my A/C unit, and it didn't snap in because the plugged plastic was in the way (the A/C case has clips that go into the hole to keep the part in place). It appears that it will fit snugly once the hole is cut. I think this confirms compatibility for the retrofit.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
Anyone successfully done it yet in North America?
I don't believe anyone else has attempted this on a Gen 4. I'm currently working on it, and it appears to be doable.
Currently a little hesitant because parts necessary from the EU are quite expensive (~$600), and you have to cut a hole in the stock A/C unit.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
40 Posts
Roughly what Im going to pay to get it bought by my dealer in Poland.
Were you able to source the Mazda 3 specific parts?
I contacted the German parts distributor and they told me the parts were "no longer available" from the supplier.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts