2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Retrofit LED addaptive headlights possibility

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  papadas08 
#1 · (Edited)
Retrofit LED adaptive headlights possibility

Hello everyone,

I own a 2018 Mazda 3 and since there was no option for technology package in my country (Slovakia) I am missing the radar in the front emblem and all features associated with it (adaptive cruise control, SBS ...). Another item that I don't have on my car are the adaptive LED headlights. As far as I know they should only be using windshield camera for their operation which is installed on the car.

So the question is, is it possible to just replace the headlights assemblies and have this feature working with minimal modifications? Do you know what parts would I need and what would be approximate price for them?

Thanks

#3 ·
I believe that the auto-leveling feature is already working even with the regular LED headlights. We don't have the dial for lowering the lights when the trunk of the car gets heavy after all. Do you think there would be need for additional coding or other changes to CMU (or whatever) even with official Mazda adaptive headlights? I was hoping that all cars are prepared for all of these features and it only depends on what official parts the car detects.

#4 ·
I'm also interested with Adaptive LED Headlights. I'm located in USA and they are simple not available here. My 2016 Mazda6 comes with the GT tech package (so every tech available and legal in 2016 is installed).

The context is I will go back to Europe in a year or so and I would like to have the lights ready for European laws (the US ones are not legal in Europe). When changing lamps, why not go to the best available and have ALH installed.

I would be very interested if someone knows (more or less) how to do it and whether the ALH lights would work with American CMU.

#5 ·
i am not sure whether the LED/ LED adaptive are the same as the previous Bi-Xenon. because if it's the same, the auto levelling feature is under your car where the wheel is. there's a small little gauge looking thing that moves depending on the load in the rear. that is why you do not have the knob in the driver's area. so it's really got nothing to do with coding. if you look at corksport, they sell the adaptive self-leveller for cars that have been dropped due to suspension changes.

the only issue for the LED/LED adaptive is the camera mounted on the dash that monitors oncoming light and adapts the shades for the high beam.

with that said, it might be better looking into the adaptive bi-xenon lamps. because as much as i appreciate the farther throw of the light. i'm pretty sure, unlike the bi-xenon that swivels around bends, the led ones do not.

#8 · (Edited)
interesting. i was recently looking at articles about headlights LED, laser, bi-xenon in regards to cars like bmw audi and all. i noticed that if the headlights swivel like ours, regardless of car brand, they list it down under the features. but as with the mazda 3, the swivel headlights is listed under bi-xenon but not mentioned at all for the ALH (adaptive LED) at all. even with our mazda australia official website, all it says is that it's brighter and has the shadow function for oncoming cars, with no mention of the swivel. but i know the bi-xenon had a mention as a feature when i was looking when i bought mine..

i believe the AFS bi-xenon (swivel) and ALH (LED anti-glare) are different? but i'm not too sure..

#11 ·
There is a benefit, but you don't need to actually swivel to get it with LEDs. I saw a Mazda video about their adaptive LED lights a while ago that showed how it worked; basically, there's extra LED elements in the assembly which are normally off, but when turning, the extra LEDs on the appropriate side will light up, pointed in that direction. No moving parts are needed, just extra LED elements, so long-term reliability should be better than the swiveling Xenons, though of course this depends on the lifetime of the LED elements (i.e., if xenon bulbs fail or get dim, you can just replace them; if LED elements get dim, you need a whole new headlamp assembly. Presumably, though, the elements should last the lifetime of the car.).

#10 ·
Was anyone able to find a place where one can buy this adaptive LED headlights assembly? I found websites selling the regular LED assemblies and also the bi-xenon ones, but I can't find any selling the LED adaptive ones nor can I find its part number.

#13 ·
Hello guys I am also an owner of a Mazda 3 skyactive D 150 PS.the car is equipped with the sport line extras and is a 2018 model. Although it has LED lights it doesn’t posses alh and high beam control features.is the retrofitting of an fsc camera ( prerequisite for the alh and hbc features) possible . Has anybody done it ; it is a great feature and I think I miss it.

BR
Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.