2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah -- and believe it or not, this is the BEST Mazda Connect has ever been! I work in software too, and cannot imagine releasing this product to production at the abysmal quality levels it shipped with. The system use to freeze and reboot all the time, even on my short 10-15 minute commute. I got my car in Oct 2014 and would describe Mazda Connect as alpha quality, at best. Now, after some updates, it's *maybe* at beta quality. It's unbelievable how slow updates are -- they should have had all these extremely obvious bugs fixed eons ago!

A coworker got a Mazda3 after I got mine. I told him not to do it, but he did anyway. Now he regrets it and says he wants to send his fist through the screen every time he gets in the car. He wants to dump the car after not even owning it a year, just due to the buggy infotainment system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think there is just one way to solve this. I spoke with the dealer and they knew about the issue, said they will have to change the BT module and the problem will be fixed.
Seems like a hardware problem with some units that cannot be resolved via a software update.

I should know more in a few days when they change it.

I expected Mazda to fix the module as soon as they heard about the issue (since it's old), but it seems even a car bought in May 2016 can have an old unit with problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my limited experiences so far, adding them to see if it helps solve this mystery at all.

I'm currently using a 500gb, Western Digital Passport portable hard-drive with little no issues. It has over 200gb of songs right now and is USB 3.0. It does not have an external power source and I didn't need any fancy Y-connector to power it, it seems to be able to function just fine with the USB3 cable it came with. It's definitely operating at USB 2 speeds though.

I just bought my 3 a few days ago, 2016 3i 5dr Touring with the Bose. I've done a few infotainment tweaks and performed the neccessary steps to unlock my nav (which I'm using a 16gb class 4 micro-sd plugged into an ancient SD adapter I had and it seems to work great so far).

Before I connected any USB devices to the car that contained music, I did the trick to disable Gracenote by corrupting the install, because I was afraid it might affect my ability to use the USB function for music.

So far I've only had 2 minor incidents involving the playback of my mp3 files.
-The first time I added additional music to the drive then hooked it back up to the car. The first start-up was fine, it even began playing back where I left off prior to adding files, however, the second start-up it forgot everything it was doing, and began playing the first file and deactivated shuffle. I've stopped/restarted the car approx. 20+ times since then with no issue and I've added more music 2 times.

-There has been one incident where playback broke completely, nothing but silence for about a full minute, while I was using the nav system. I had just started the car, playback resumed as normal, I immediately opened the nav app and started using it while the system was still loading, so it was rather sluggish for a bit. When I had stopped the car prior there were only a couiple seconds left on the track it was playing. When starting it up and playing with the nav it played those couple seconds and then stopped. Finally I realized no music was playing, so I opened the music app and briefly saw the name of the song it was trying to play, and a *Gracenote(tm)* logo at the bottom (this is the first time I've ever seen this logo) briefly, before it jumped to the next song in my album. When I went to look at the current song queue list, the song it was trying to play was greyed out and unable to be selected as if it was a non-music file. Several short trips and restarts later while listening to that same album I went back and looked and the file was able to be played again, I clicked on it to being playing and it played immediately, no hesitation and no problems. I'm fairly certain that the corrupted-install method of disabling Gracenote is responsible for this problem and would love to see a script that could correctly disable it by modifying the code and removing the assoc. db completely off the system. I may see about writing this myself sometime soon.

So sorry for the wall of text, but I tried to be as detailed as possible, I'm hoping to add to the experiences I've seen floating around in order to try and help narrow down the problem for those that are having it. If I have any other issues or anything happens I'll definitely come back and let you all know.

Here's a pic of how my HD rests comfortably in the center console:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's my limited experiences so far, adding them to see if it helps solve this mystery at all.

I'm currently using a 500gb, Western Digital Passport portable hard-drive with little no issues. It has over 200gb of songs right now and is USB 3.0. It does not have an external power source and I didn't need any fancy Y-connector to power it, it seems to be able to function just fine with the USB3 cable it came with. It's definitely operating at USB 2 speeds though.

I just bought my 3 a few days ago, 2016 3i 5dr Touring with the Bose. I've done a few infotainment tweaks and performed the neccessary steps to unlock my nav (which I'm using a 16gb class 4 micro-sd plugged into an ancient SD adapter I had and it seems to work great so far).

Before I connected any USB devices to the car that contained music, I did the trick to disable Gracenote by corrupting the install, because I was afraid it might affect my ability to use the USB function for music.

So far I've only had 2 minor incidents involving the playback of my mp3 files.
-The first time I added additional music to the drive then hooked it back up to the car. The first start-up was fine, it even began playing back where I left off prior to adding files, however, the second start-up it forgot everything it was doing, and began playing the first file and deactivated shuffle. I've stopped/restarted the car approx. 20+ times since then with no issue and I've added more music 2 times.

-There has been one incident where playback broke completely, nothing but silence for about a full minute, while I was using the nav system. I had just started the car, playback resumed as normal, I immediately opened the nav app and started using it while the system was still loading, so it was rather sluggish for a bit. When I had stopped the car prior there were only a couiple seconds left on the track it was playing. When starting it up and playing with the nav it played those couple seconds and then stopped. Finally I realized no music was playing, so I opened the music app and briefly saw the name of the song it was trying to play, and a *Gracenote(tm)* logo at the bottom (this is the first time I've ever seen this logo) briefly, before it jumped to the next song in my album. When I went to look at the current song queue list, the song it was trying to play was greyed out and unable to be selected as if it was a non-music file. Several short trips and restarts later while listening to that same album I went back and looked and the file was able to be played again, I clicked on it to being playing and it played immediately, no hesitation and no problems. I'm fairly certain that the corrupted-install method of disabling Gracenote is responsible for this problem and would love to see a script that could correctly disable it by modifying the code and removing the assoc. db completely off the system. I may see about writing this myself sometime soon.

So sorry for the wall of text, but I tried to be as detailed as possible, I'm hoping to add to the experiences I've seen floating around in order to try and help narrow down the problem for those that are having it. If I have any other issues or anything happens I'll definitely come back and let you all know.

Here's a pic of how my HD rests comfortably in the center console:
Thread resurrection! I recently purchased a 2017 Sport and I'm experiencing the playback issue as well. Have you or anyone had a chance to dig out the Gracenote code and disable it or is corrupting the install still the only option?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It happens to me too, I've read that it's a bug in the firmware but someone else may be able to correct me on this if i'm wrong.
I have the latest firmware for Canada btw

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've recently updated to the 502 firmware which is now the latest one for Canada and haven't had the issue since. Only issue that developed though since the update is that i have to limit the amount of data on the key down to ~45GB though otherwise it fails to complete the catalog of the key and then stops being able to access it until you remove/re-insert the key.

Also it seems that AIO becomes difficult to install

Another user(not able to locate the name at the moment) has also had issues where 2 of his USB keys got corrupted after the update, that hasn't happened to me though

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've recently updated to the 502 firmware which is now the latest one for Canada and haven't had the issue since. Only issue that developed though since the update is that i have to limit the amount of data on the key down to ~45GB though otherwise it fails to complete the catalog of the key and then stops being able to access it until you remove/re-insert the key.

Also it seems that AIO becomes difficult to install

Another user(not able to locate the name at the moment) has also had issues where 2 of his USB keys got corrupted after the update, that hasn't happened to me though

Yes, last night I was reading about all the recent issues with the AIO and 5.02 FW. I also read that Mazda Corp released a statement that it would not cover any bricked units if they found them to have AIO tweaks. Apparently they have caught on to the hype. Im a little hesitant to jump to the new FW and start tinkering now

·
Registered
101 Posts
still no official fix for the playback issue huh? This is becoming very frustrating after owning the car for about 5 months and experiencing the playback loop issue nearly once a day

·
Registered
396 Posts
still no official fix for the playback issue huh? This is becoming very frustrating after owning the car for about 5 months and experiencing the playback loop issue nearly once a day
Hey, try to submit your issue by email: [email protected]
Or find one for your region, if you're not from Europe. They replied me that they are investigating my issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I received such reply yesterday:

Dear Mr Litnevskyi,

Thank you for your patience.

We forwarded your reply to our technical department. The problem is known and our programmers are working on a solution.
It is expected that the next software version will solve your issues, unfortunately we do not know its release date.
We recommend you to contact your local Mazda dealership every now and then, in order to find out wether there is a new software version available.

Best Regards,

--
Jakob Maschkowski
Handsfree Support

Tel nat.: 0800 4263738 (Germany)
Tel int.: 00800 42637383
[email protected]

·
Registered
101 Posts
I received this reply last week...

Thank you for contacting Mazda Hands-free support.

We understand that you are facing issue with songs being played automatically and always the same repeated songs.

We suggest you try doing a factory reset with Mazda car then try to pair the phone follow the below steps for restore Factory settings.

Select 'Setting' options on the home screen.
Select System.
Select 'Restore All Factory Setting.'
While performing the above steps we want to notify that all your favorites setting saved, would wash out and would get removed. if you find the same issue check for your grace notes

If the issue still persists request you to check for grace notes update follow the below link to check for updates.

Mazda Connect

Follow the below Link for steps to update your Gracenotes if required.

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/files/Mazda_GracenoteUpdateProcess_2015.pdf

I attempted this fix but no results. The playback loop still continues to haunt me. Hopefully the fix that Mazda is speaking about about above resolves this.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Latest response...
Thank you Again for contacting Mazda Hands-free support.

We understand that the restore and Gracenotes update dint work for you.

We request you to reach your nearest Mazda dealership with the car who will assist you accordingly.

Since its a new car it's better that you reach the dealership who will check your car system thoroughly and fix the issue with technicians help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dropped my car off at my local dealer today so they could investigate and mainly so I had documentation that this problem exists and has existed since I first took ownership. Well, they updated my FW to .502 so now I can't add back my AIO tweaks and the playback looping persists. They ordered a new BT module which I don't feel confident is going to resolve this issue considering this doesn't involve the BT other than being a feature via the infotainment center

·
Registered
1 Posts
dropped my car off at my local dealer today so they could investigate and mainly so I had documentation that this problem exists and has existed since I first took ownership. Well, they updated my FW to .502 so now I can't add back my AIO tweaks and the playback looping persists. They ordered a new BT module which I don't feel confident is going to resolve this issue considering this doesn't involve the BT other than being a feature via the infotainment center
Hi
I have same issues on my CX5. Any news? Did BT module replacement help?
Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi
I have same issues on my CX5. Any news? Did BT module replacement help?
Thanks.
I still do not have a resolution to this issue. I call parts every few weeks to check the status but the BT unit has been on backorder for months now. This is pretty wild. The shuffling was driving me nuts since I drive about 2500+ miles a month so I have resorted to streaming Spotify for the time being

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Mazda 3 (2017) and I have exactly the same problem
Hamlf the time when i start the car instead of resuming the music from where it left off it starts back at the beginning
also it keeps re-setting from Random play to Normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this issue also and I agree that it's incredibly frustrating. I keep all my files in the root directory and leave it on random, except it isn't even random, it's a set sequence. Since I upgraded to V33 I have noticed that it doesn't "forget" as often, except now it forgets that random was left on.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts