2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

just managed to keep the fuel trim under control running with a SRI, but I get this engine response that I dont know how to explain. Its climbing the the rev steadily and normally, but feels like there's something restricting it from going faster. Throttle response is decent, there's minimal tip in lag, but load reaches 100% rather quickly.

Is this due to the stock exhaust?

any insight is appreciated, thx

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:argh 1: why didnt I think of that?

no no, not crazy theory.

Just wondering how the stock header inhibits engine performance.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It isnt a parteh without WZ.

@ crespo: Have you notice signficant acceleration difference? I'm really thinking about getting a hi flow cat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why help hims Crespo, it will just turn into his crazy skills trying to prove something ridiculous like if he sticks a screwdriver through the mani it should reduce the pressure build up.
Dengggg. Wings dropping verbal bombs like the U.S did in Operation Rolling Thunder. History repeats itself. If it didn't work on Charlie, then it ain't gonna work on jmaster.

LOL :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
It isnt a parteh without WZ.

@ crespo: Have you notice signficant acceleration difference? I'm really thinking about getting a hi flow cat.
I could be wrong, but I think the cat in the stock down pipe / header isn't replaceable only removeable with an aftermarket header. The second cat after the flex pipe is however replaceable but may only yield minimal gains. Your best bet for that may be the CS cat back exhaust with the racepipe to eliminate the second cat, or you could replace it with a high flow cat if you want to add the MSDS header later so you don't have to run cat-less

Reactions: jmaister

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If it didn't work on Charlie, then it ain't gonna work on jmaster.
I just don't get him. I'm just so annoyed with his posts I mean. And I quote:

jmaister said:
just managed to keep the fuel trim under control running with a SRI
Like does he seriously believe his Canadian Tire OBD2 scanner allows him to control his car's parameters?

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll have to explain something then..

First, whatever I was working on eventually gave me a solid lean reading. Therefore, I had to do something to the intake in fear that I overheat the cat too much.

Again, the OBD reader is Innova 3130. You heard of dashhawk and like yes? Its essentially the same without the dashhawk portability.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3130-Diagnostic-Playback-Capability/dp/B000KID31K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320530747&sr=8-1[/ame]

You live in Fredericton too long to know what the world outside is like? For crying out loud you're almost 30 and give a shit what I post? you carry the pride of a test fitter, yes I know, aftermarket product works and they're awesome. BUT! I did said I was done with crazy crap, done it is, NO MORE!

I'm interested in making the engine breathe better, aftermarket header is what I found works for most people. Lets stick with that.

Please?

Its $300 big ones, I wanna make sure this investment is worth it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you expect some serious gains from your NA mzd3 then your gonna be disappointed. No amount of R&D, scanners, readers, etc... Will ever get you those gains. Only way is to turbo. And as of this moment there isn't any available. Plus you gotta read up and research even more before you go FI or else you are certainty going to fuck up. The way it is right now. All you need is header, intake and exhaust. Maybe a tune? You should stop all your R&D, is just wasting your time and money. Mazda didn't spend millions and hire professional engineers to relase a car that is not up to standards. I mean if a company that is reputalbe like mazda spent. Years and millions on imporving their product, then they are obviously doing something right.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Do a little search for JackF's before and after header dyno then, if you need proof. If you are going to be a "sane" member of the forum, a) show some respect b) learn where the search button is and if you have a question c) ask it in a way that sounds normal.

For example:

a super star said:
I did a search and found some information about the MSDS header, but still have a question.

{Insert question here}

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
There are a couple threads about the header with posts from those who installed it. Removing any obstruction, either entering or exiting, is going to make anything breathe better, so removing the cat in the stock manifold will make it "Exhale", so to speak, better. The header in the stock manifold can't be replaced. Only the 2nd cat can be swapped out or removed. Yes it pulls harder up top. Again, search MSDS Header in the forum search and start reading. There is ALOT of info out about it and a worthy investment for performance if you ask me. Couple it with a cat-back exhaust, intake, and tune and you have a very fun and daily drivable car.

As for the random threads, just please search and then ask your question like wing stated. It saves time and prevents a lot of thread clutter on the forum.

As for gains and performance, sjsujdm is right. FI(Forced induction) is the pretty much the only way to make more serious power from the car. He is also right about Mazda putting a lot of time and money into making the car run well. sure, they could tune it for lots more HP but the cost of the car would skyrocket. The (reputable) aftermarket companies who release products know what they are doing and have proven results, hence why several of us run the MSDS header as well as other mods. Props for wanting to try your own mods but some are better left for those with resources to make it worthwhile and cost effective. JackF does what I would call R&D for the car because he is delving into the internals of the engine as well as other parts of the drive-train and has a vast mechanical knowledge from my point of view. I have yet to ever see anyone mess with fuel trims and other numbers you have previously posted just because they are trivial unless you start changing the engine greatly.

I believe Tri-point's turbo kit will work on our car because on another forum which they are active on, someone asked the question and they responded the piping requires some slight modification. If someone is actually serious about it, give them a call and I'm sure they would help you out.

My fingers are now tired and BF3 is calling my name. Good day sir.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you expect some serious gains from your NA mzd3 then your gonna be disappointed. No amount of R&D, scanners, readers, etc... Will ever get you those gains. Only way is to turbo. .
This pretty much sums it up and the reason I moved to the dark side. Fast is fun. Stage 2 turbo is even more fun..

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
This pretty much sums it up and the reason I moved to the dark side. Fast is fun. Stage 2 turbo is even more fun..
:argh 1: Jealous. My next car after this will be turbo'd unless I do it to this car

1 - 20 of 33 Posts