2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys just want to know if those of you who have deleted your resonator, did you notice any lost in torque or backpressure? I'm asking because I've been reading and came across this article stating that it gives you noise but you loose backpressure so that been said I want to know from those of you who have done it!
I'm tempted to do it on my car because the magnaflow muffler I installed turned out to be quieter than I expected.:confused013:
I don't want to chop my oem exhaust so I decided to replace the second cat with a highflow cat with straight pipe back to eliminate the resonator. The second cat and the resonator are all in one piece and I don't plan on chopping oem exhaust so I have to do what I just mentioned.

Second, did anybody get the chance to install TMIC(cpe or corksport) before doing HPFP or internals. If you did, did you experience any problems with fuel pressure?
I spoke to the mazda certified Mech. to ask him if it was safe and he told me that I shouldn't have any problems. Just want your inputs. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
220 Posts
From what I understand, turbos love a straight pipe. I think the difference, if any, is going to be negligible. I am not sure about the tmic, but hpfp internals are something this car needs to have by any means of power mods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you should do the fuel internals before the intercooler or at the same time. that is the weak link the fuel pump. your going to lower your bats's, force more air in, require more fuel, and maybe even little over boost with the tmic. so get your internals and have at it.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Whatever you read is a bunch of crap. On a NA car a straight thru exhaust isn't ideal. However on a turbo car the straighter and less restricted the exhaust is the more power the car can make.
I had my resonator off and deleted the muffler and straight piped it. Car definitely felt faster. No loss of torque that I felt anywhere.
And as mazdaspeedmyk said get the internals. Stop gambling with your engine. 350 dollars for a safe engine and peace of mind is well worth it.

A turbo engine makes power off the exhaust gas. The faster the exhaust air can leave the car the faster it can spin the turbo. The faster it spins the more air the compressor side of the turbo can draw in. More air=more fuel=more power. That's just it in lamens terms.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the advice.

I have 2 questions, the smaller the muffler core, its suppose to be louder and the bigger the core is suppose to be quieter right? If this is true I don't know what happened with this muffler.
Second, is the mazdaspeed oem muffler straight through muffler?
The magnaflow muffler is straight through muffler and it should flow better than stock oem muffler right?

Guys about the internals, im afraid of messing up the fuel pump. I asked a mazda mechanic friend and he didn't want to mess with it.
So I said to myself, forget it ill just have to wait until I can buy the whole pump from cpe. So been expensive I have to wait until I make more cash. Lol

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yeah the pump isn't hard to do at all, believe it or not, I had more of a hard time putting the pump back into the car than I did upgrading the internals. It has been one of my easier projects out of all my mods to date.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
exhaust entirely depends on the setup. turbo, free flowing, high rpm / Na hp, you want a good scavenging exhaust etc etc.

however, for a turbo car, the more free-flowing the better, I don't see how the resonator would really hinder flow though, have you seen inside it's pretty straight through.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you for your inputs and recommendations.
I'll be looking into doing it.
I'll go to the muffler shop and have them delete the resonator. The sound is great from what I heard on videos. Take care guys and thanks for your help. If you guys still have any other comments im still open to suggestions.

Reactions: RedTape

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL yes sir. I'll get to it on monday. Made an appointment with the muffler shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts