2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 2.5l hatch and want the deep rumbling sound that you hear on cars like an srt4 something like in this video
should i get both the resonator and muffler removed or just the resonator or just the muffler and what are the price ranges for each option.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You will never get an SRT-4 sound since you don't have a turbo. SRT-4s don't have a muffler. Just a resonator in the exhaust tunnel. The resonator is what reduces the raspy sound in cars so just try removing the muffler.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You will never get an SRT-4 sound since you don't have a turbo. SRT-4s don't have a muffler. Just a resonator in the exhaust tunnel. The resonator is what reduces the raspy sound in cars so just try removing the muffler.
+1 I have no muffler , the stock mid cat and stock resonator, and a turbo on my 2.5 and it sounds amazing. nice deep grumble down low and then you hear the turbo spool and the intake is louder then the exhaust

but if you get a header, revome stock resonator and stock rear muffler, should sound good

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Doh! Removed my res...

Do you get some drone during crusing without the mufflah?

My car sounds like WAaaaaaaah....

·
zoom~
848 Posts
hmm not really, my car is actually only loud under 3k if i'm cruising but not nasty loud sounds good.
on open road is hardly noticeable...only in residential areas that I needed to be careful not to have it pass 3k..

but pass 3k... I think I may need the res back on..

·
Registered
129 Posts
how do you delete the Muffler.... where is it located... do you have to buy any additional part to delete the Muffler??

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
how do you delete the Muffler.... where is it located... do you have to buy any additional part to delete the Muffler??
Um, I guess you dont HAVE to buy additional stuff but you arent going to have exhaust tips. Basically you cut the pipe before the muffler, weld more pipe on and slap a tip on there. But you have a 2.5 so you'd have to weld a Y pipe in or something so you can get a 2nd tip. It should be under $100 to do at a muffler shop. I dont really know though I'm just assuming. Someone else will verify soon enough

·
Registered
182 Posts
To look decent you need to make something like the stock SRT-4 exhaust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So if you take out the Stock Muffler... the exhaust will end under the back seat and wont come out the rear of the car.... is that ok to ride around like that or will it cause problems???

·
zoom~
848 Posts
interesting, stock srt4 has two race bullet like thingy?

has anyone thought of going, res delete & muffler delete, but add resonated tips?

Good ones arent cheap, but they suppose to act like mini mufflers.

·
Zoom - Zoom
53 Posts
Stock SRT has has two resonators, when i had mine i deleted it as well, then i went with the other exhaust in the pic which was a 3 inch turbo back side exhaust. Reg neon guys were always after the stock SRT setup for the muffler delete reason.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had my muffler cut off and put a straight pipe back to the bumper with a tip. Sounds great! I'll post a video when i'm back on the computer.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stock SRT has has two resonators, when i had mine i deleted it as well, then i went with the other exhaust in the pic which was a 3 inch turbo back side exhaust. Reg neon guys were always after the stock SRT setup for the muffler delete reason.
That looks just like the setup on the project SRT4 that Sport Compact Car did a few years ago. That was a sweet car. A turbo really quiets down the exhaust; I would think a NA setup with two small resonators like that would be pretty loud.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Sounds good Harrison but I'd rather have a muffler

·
Zoom - Zoom
53 Posts
That looks just like the setup on the project SRT4 that Sport Compact Car did a few years ago. That was a sweet car. A turbo really quiets down the exhaust; I would think a NA setup with two small resonators like that would be pretty loud.
it wasnt to loud. i had it on my 98 coupe neon. my autox car. it was loud but not to bad. the cam i had was pretty loopy too...man that little thing screwed on the track. my SRT had to much power with not enough traction...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts