2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out that you do indeed need resistors, but I think I may have ordered the wrong one. They were out of stock on the Morimoto resistor, so I ordered the Vled in line resistor instead. Does anyone know if this will work?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I figured out that you do indeed need resistors, but I think I may have ordered the wrong one. They were out of stock on the Morimoto resistor, so I ordered the Vled in line resistor instead. Does anyone know if this will work?
As long as the resistors can match up to the wattage the LEDs are bringing out, it should be good. Does it say on the site?

It would be easier to compare if the morimoto LEDs and the VLED ones are using around the same power. Then you would definitely be okay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trouble is I can't seem to find a wattage on the Vled resistors. It does mention volts, but no mention on wattage. All it says is it is for daytime running lights and is a in-line resistor. Vled is closed for the weekend I think so I can't ask them.

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
The problem with LED DRLs is not about wattage but about voltage. LED usually only run on a certain voltage (12v, 24v, etc) while halogen bulbs run dimmer on DRL (6v) and lighten up when used as high beams (12v)

jetek2588 used Halogen bulbs, thats why he doesnt need anything for his DRLs to light up.

I would use capacitors (AKA Warning cancelers) instead of wiring resistors

Simpler to install, cleaner and does the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem with LED DRLs is not about wattage but about voltage. LED usually only run on a certain voltage (12v, 24v, etc) while halogen bulbs run dimmer on DRL (6v) and lighten up when used as high beams (12v)

jetek2588 used Halogen bulbs, thats why he doesnt need anything for his DRLs to light up.

I would use capacitors (AKA Warning cancelers) instead of wiring resistors

Simpler to install, cleaner and does the job.
I do agree with you in the regard for the standard OEM DRL's needing to boost the voltage as I have learned trying to replace the 9005 halogen bulbs.

I was referring to the install of the Morimoto X.DRL's

I just used the 9005 connector splitter from TRS to wire in the X.DRL's

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with VLEDS and change up my order. It's nice to have confirmation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
343 Posts
So if you convert the halogen DRL/high beam to an LED DRL, what happens with your high beams? The LED cannot perform the function of the halogen high beam so you are without high beams, right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes your correct. You basically have no high beams, but I really don't use them anyways so I'm OK with that. If I ever find it a problem, I'll definitely look for an alternative.

·
Registered
249 Posts
DRL isn't on when you turn on low beam at night
so when you high beam it technically will still trigger the high beam 9005 bulb.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Led DRL's will have all the function of halogen high beams except for brightness in high beam mode. Which is to say you can still use them to flash and you can still turn them on when your low beams are on. So if your someone who never uses high beams for illumination than LED DRL shouldn't affect you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got the Morimoto X.DRL's from TRS. I didn't install them with a resistor and they work "On" with the OEM DRL's.
Do you have any pics of them "ON" at night? Just curious what they look like at night.

I read they are pretty insanely bright at night and have to be turned off at night so as to not blind oncoming drivers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts