2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, I forgot to post the results. Sry.

After correcting the tire pressure in all four tires, I took it for a drive and the TPMS light stayed on. I think this is because the light stays on till you reset the system. Has anyone had a low tire, gotten the TPMS light, added air and had the light go out by itself?

So I reset the TPMS system and all has been well since then, despite the difference in tread depth between front and rear tires. I think this also means that the system can tolerate slight differences in tire diameter.

Karl

·
Registered
678 Posts
Last year on a highway trip I began hearing a very subtle thump-thump-thump, but it wasn't loud enough to cause me to immediately stop.

A half-hour later the TPMS alarm activated, so I stopped at the first safe spot to check the tires. My pencil-type air pressure gauge told me that all of my tires had the same, proper pressure. Suspecting another problem from the thumping sound, I then ran my hand around each of the tires' treads and sidewalls and found that one tire had a longitudinal bulge in a portion of the middle of the tread. I then knew that the tire was beginning to suffer belt separation and so was expanding to the point that the TPMS noted it was revolving too slowly compared to the other three tires (which would logically imply to the TPMS that the tire was actually gaining pressure, and it decided this was as dangerous as losing pressure which, in this case, certainly was true even though no pressure actually was gained :=).

Since I was not far from home, I didn't bother putting the donut on and proceeded at a slower pace down the road. Before I pulled out, I reset the TPMS to see if the alarm would go off for the duration of the trip. Within a few feet of rolling forward, the alarm activated again and remained "on" until I got home. So, my TPMS refused to accept the tire as "normal" and so it immediately alarmed again after the reset.

Obviously, the TPMS did not allow the faulty tire into the normal category when it was out of rotational-speed harmony with the other three. I'm glad it thinks that way. It served me better than the newer type of pressure-monitoring TPMS, which would not have alarmed since my faulty tire had perfect air pressure because it had not lost a pound.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts