2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Report Your Mazda 3's Repairs and Reliability

10K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  wiiiiw 
#1 · (Edited)
When I was searching for my next car, reliability was a major factor in my decision making. I found the True Delta site to be very helpful because it shows by model and year the reported repairs for a car and uses it as an indicator of reliability. It also breaks down repair types (e.g. engine, electrical, transmission, etc.).

Help our future Mazda brothers and sisters by taking a moment to report on your vehicle(s) at True Delta .

I am not affiliated with the site in any way, but find crowd reviews helpful so thought I would post this thread. :smile2:

Thanks!

#4 ·
Ok so my 2015 is at probably 16,000km now. Only issue is that the auto transmission is a bit jerky when cold - however consulting the workshop manual, all transmission diagnosis occurs with a warm transmission, so I dare say this is 'normal'. I have a couple of dashboard and doortrim squeaks and rattles happening, just like every other car I have ever owned (including Corollas).

#5 ·
Mine is near 2 years old, about 75k km on it. No significant problems to report. All but one are warranty fixes.

Fixed under warranty:
Coolant recall, backup camera failed, heater control cable jammed (revised part), and center console bin lid hinge shifted out (also a revised part.

Not covered:
Excessive Surface rust on exhaust and front edge of both control arms. Obvious defect, but as with all cars the underside is not covered for rust under any warranty. There's a TSB for this....but it's American only. Nice cop-out Mazda. Guess my car is different even though you built it in the same factory.

So end of that story I fixed it myself. $40 in supplies or go to small claims court are the choices.

Overall this car has been great. I'd call all my issues minor.

I've never been a fan of true delta. Mostly because it doesn't really do what it claims to. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. The problem is in the statistics. There's zero control over the sample. Your sample could be spread over any region and many reports are likely to be inaccurate. For example, idiot changes his oil, forgets to put the new oil in the engine, blows it up and the n expects the manufacturer to replace it.

The other problem with the samples is that statistically people are far more likely to complain when something goes wrong than to leave good feedback. That can be helpful, but it skews results.

True delta can be a good indication to back up other research, but it should never be relied on completely

#6 ·
I've never been a fan of true delta. Mostly because it doesn't really do what it claims to. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. The problem is in the statistics. There's zero control over the sample. Your sample could be spread over any region and many reports are likely to be inaccurate. For example, idiot changes his oil, forgets to put the new oil in the engine, blows it up and the n expects the manufacturer to replace it.

The other problem with the samples is that statistically people are far more likely to complain when something goes wrong than to leave good feedback. That can be helpful, but it skews results.

True delta can be a good indication to back up other research, but it should never be relied on completely
I don't think you can or should use True Delta as an absolute indicator of reliability for a particular model and year; e.g. just because it shows 26 defects for every 100 cars reported does not mean you'll have a 26% chance of having some defect for that car / year/ age of car. What you can use its statistics for are relative comparisons between models and model years. This works even if your assertion that people are far more likely to complain and / or report a problem of their own doing is correct.

#8 ·
Couldn't figure out that site.

Over 6 months now and 7400 miles. Absolutely no problems.

Keep hitting the off/on switch when getting my sun glasses from the overhead hatch.

GPS is erky for putting in an address, not as easy to use as my portable one.

Hate it that I'll have to go underneath to change the oil filter. Mazda should change this to overhead access from the hood.

This 3 sGT drives like the old 3 series Bimmers. Better than current 3 series.

Ralph

#13 ·
Hate it that I'll have to go underneath to change the oil filter. Mazda should change this to overhead access from the hood.
I have to disagree here. The way Mazda has it is perfect IMO. I have to go underneath the car anyway just to get to the drain bolt, so it's no trouble to do so for the filter. Even better, they put the filter right next to the drain bolt, all under one small removable panel. And it's easy to reach from there, and the filter opening is pointed upwards, so you don't have much trouble with oil leaking all over. I've never seen a car that was easier for changing the oil on. Usually they either put the filter way up on the backside of the engine where it's hard to reach and hard to engage the threads when putting the new filter on, or on the Euro cars they have it in the front, but you need a special tool to get the cap off.

#10 · (Edited)
Help our future Mazda brothers and sisters by taking a moment to report on your vehicle(s) at True Delta.

I agree! All of us should consider registering our cars on TrueDelta.com. The quarterly service surveys take just a couple of minutes (literally), and your feedback provides shoppers with info about Mazda's reliability. I've been on TrueDelta for many years with every car I've owned. The site owner is a very cool car guy – I like to help his dedicated efforts.

#11 ·
I have a 2014 I Touring Sedan, made in Japan, bought new. It just reached 50,000 miles. At 35,000 I had the front rotor's and pads replaced because the steering wheel started to shimmy while applying brakes at highway speed. Mazda USA paid for parts I paid for labor which I thought was fair. No other issues, it is a great car.
How long should the rear brakes last?
Sometimes I hear a slight high pitched squeal when come to a stop.
I will have them checked at the next oil change.

#14 ·
I have a 2015 sGT with the tech package, and almost 20k miles. The only trouble I've had is having to update the infotainment system, and the regular gripes people have with that system (being a little slow, etc.).

I have noticed some rust on the rear hubs though when I rotate the tires.

#15 ·
2014 S Touring - 17,700 miles.. (Purchsed Dec, 2014)

Mostly basic maintenance, with a few issues.

HUD Display sometimes doesn't go up, but this seems to happen more in cold weather, and is very sporadic - but unable to replicate consistently for dealer

Battery starting to die after not quite 2 1/2 years of owning the car

Originally had old CD software to the Infotainment system that caused a minor issue. Upgraded to newer software under warranty.

Infotainment Screen had bubbles on the inside. Replaced under warranty

Reactions: tots
#16 · (Edited)
Cooling fan squeal fixed DIY with some fluid film anti rust lubricant
Rust developing around the edges of frame, more lubricant.
Recalls like there is no tomorrow. 4 times
Battery died after 2 years decided against going to stealership warranty due to crappy battery (Warranty is usage based 2 years = 25% refund)

#18 ·
50k miles on my 2014 iSport with tech package. No issues, just regular maintenance thus far and ALOT of manual transmission fluid flushes to keep away the gear crunching.

Both me and wifey Love this car. Previously had an 06 Scion tC 5spd (modified) as the family beater along with a Range Rover for off roading fun. Now happily married with just the MZ3. Lol.

I think it's perfect for its class and very easy to modify and take care off.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.