2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the DRLs with a bluer looking bulb like with this?

Robot Check

All you have to do is replace the bulb and install the ballast right?

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I wouldn't get HIDs for your drls. Just look for blue led or halogen bulbs

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
PNP hids will not work for DRL since it is a reduced voltage style system. That is also a terrible brand and 12000k is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to the forum
But not new to modding cars :nerd:

So the DRL system in the regular halogen set up sucks... :frown2:
it runs at half the voltage so HID's OR LED's won't work
Even though LED's use less than half the power in most cases, they don't like half the voltage. They need full 12v

I tried 2 different sets of LED 9005 kits, even the one sold by morimoto @ retrofit source.. and they barely turned on and flickered

I just bought another set from JDM toy specifically made for the Mazda 3 to work with the DRL setup, but I was pissed when i opened the box. It has a harness that you have to install (it makes sense) but wasn't advertised when I bought it, they only showed off the bulbs.
I'm thinking about returning it, I don't want a harness running from both ends and don't want to give mazda anything to point at if I need warranty work done.
Heck, even the HID's I installed in the fogs and lows are a simple PNP setup.

My last vehicle's DRL setup was better for modding, it basically 'pulses' the power to the halogen bulbs.. but at full voltage. But because of the way halogen bulbs work they simply 'heat up' to a certain brightness.
If you plugged in an LED it would just flicker like crazy because of the 'pulsing', but you can simply plug in a capacitor before the bulb to smooth out the power delivery and voila!

I think I'm just going to live with these halogen DRL's, too much of a hassle and no real PNP alternative except maybe some silverstars

Reactions: M3Dude

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Even though LED's use less than half the power in most cases, they don't like half the voltage. They need full 12v

I tried 2 different sets of LED 9005 kits, even the one sold by morimoto @ retrofit source.. and they barely turned on and flickered

I just bought another set from JDM toy specifically made for the Mazda 3 to work with the DRL setup, but I was pissed when i opened the box. It has a harness that you have to install (it makes sense) but wasn't advertised when I bought it, they only showed off the bulbs.
I'm thinking about returning it, I don't want a harness running from both ends and don't want to give mazda anything to point at if I need warranty work done.

My last vehicle's DRL setup was better for modding, it basically 'pulses' the power to the halogen bulbs.. but at full voltage. But because of the way halogen bulbs work they simply 'heat up' to a certain brightness.
If you plugged in an LED it would just flicker like crazy because of the 'pulsing', but you can simply plug in a capacitor before the bulb to smooth out the power delivery and voila!

I think I'm just going to live with these halogen DRL's, too much of a hassle and no real PNP alternative except maybe some silverstars
Thanks for the reply.

So it looks like modding the DRLs is a no go? :(

·
Registered
171 Posts

So yes in this case using the harness would be your go to for your 12v. I have used a harness more than once to wire it up. Also better for the wiring because it is a solid connection to the battery without tapping in to anything.

If done right and looks professional you won't have any problems with mazda.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

So it looks like modding the DRLs is a no go? :(
I mean you still can, like I said the set I bought specifically made for our cars came with a harness.. so it won't be a simple bulb swap.

I like to keep my things simple, that way if I ever need to revert back to stock it makes it easy + I like things looking stock.

I already swapped out everything that is PNP with LEDs/HID's:
Interior lights
Trunk Light
Reverse Lights
License Plate Lights
HID Low Beams
HID Fog Lights

Only thing stock are brake lights, turn signals, and these DRLs
But they all require some modifications to work (resistors for turn signals and the harness for DRLs) so I might just keep them that way

·
Registered
171 Posts
SO if LED or HID is no go for DRL bulbs, then can we at least replaced them with those blue tinted regular bulbs just for the bluish look (not performance)?

Oh ya for sure.

You will just have a whiter blueish look over the more yellowish orange.

No need to go all out. Just swap with some other bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts