2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2014 Mazda3 and the Nav/CMU crapped out. I haven't ever done any mods ( never even updated the firmware from Factory) to it but it seems dead as a doornail. One day it just wouldnt turn on. The three button reset had no effect on the black screen.

It would play radio on one station ( couldn't change the station) and the volume worked. Reading through some very good posts on here I did come across the posting that suggests that the screen is stuck on "standby mode" or something like that but it also has no power to the USB port (no longer charges my phone) so updating or resetting it with a USB stick seems impossible.

After pulling the battery cable and then removing the entire CMU to look at the part number, then replacing the CMU, the one radio station I had working no longer works either. And the screen is still black.

Long story short here, I am going to buy a used CMU and see if it will get it working. There are a couple posts saying that others have done this and the CMU is not locked to the VIN or anything and it will work.

Any pointers from anyone on what not to buy or anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My original CMU part number ended in C0 which I think is the first generation. The replacement I ordered from eBay ends in C0 M which is the latest version according to my findings. I am hoping that helps my issue as well. The screen was pretty glitchy from the beginning but life gets busy and 45K miles later I hadn't taken it in to get it checked and now I am replacing it on my own money. Oh well.
I am glad to have you verify its just plug and play, I found one other thread saying that as well.
I am hoping its just the CMU as that's all I purchased. There are lots of CMU's and CMU's with screens on eBay so either its a common problem or a strange coincidence.
I will post here when I get it installed so anyone else searching for black screen info will know what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can hear radio station and can adjust volume it means TAU is working. The TAU stores radio station setting in RAM. So once you disconnect battery power the current radio station setting and volume setting are lost. Make sure replacement CMU is same region as the one you are replacing or else it will not be compatible with TAU. Otherwise you will need to reprogram the CMU with the correct region firmware version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you guys fix your cmu issues after replacing the unit?

Was it a straight forward plug an play replacement without any additional programming?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there anyone who replaced the cmu unit with third party manufacturer like Alpine,kenwood,pioneer?In china they have alot design for mazda use to replace the cmu,even bigger screen.

·
Registered
Mazda 3 2015 2.0 Skyactiv-G 120
9 Posts
Is there anyone who replaced the cmu unit with third party manufacturer like Alpine,kenwood,pioneer?In china they have alot design for mazda use to replace the cmu,even bigger screen.
Hello. i'm looking for replace my CMU by an aftermarket head unit.
On the net, I have found this : Metra Online
Only Alpine INE-W977HD, ILX-107, ILX207 can fit with this adapter (maybe more now. In tho documentation : "This kit can only be used with an ISO DDIN radio with an“L” shaped chassis design, with the radio chassis at the bottom of the screen"
And with this : iDatalink - Maestro - SI-MAZ01-DS
you have steering wheel control and other functionality

I think that it will be far more better than the factory audio system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only Alpine INE-W977HD, ILX-107, ILX207 can fit with this adapter (maybe more now. In tho documentation : "This kit can only be used with an ISO DDIN radio with an“L” shaped chassis design, with the radio chassis at the bottom of the screen"

The orignal tau unit actually use a tda8750 MOSFET amplifier chip,not bad also.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Nice find,I will look forward,do you have installed it?is Mazda 2,cx-3 also use this adapter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice find,I will look forward,do you have installed it?is Mazda 2,cx-3 also use this adapter?
I don't know if all TAU have the same chip, but mine (non bose) have a TB2931HQ chip.
It sounds not so bad, especially after replacing the speakers (I replaced mine at front by a Hertz component system).
But i want to improve sound quality, and i think changing the factory head unit is not a bad thing. Alpine ILX-207 (for example) has rca output (for external amps), time alignment, active crossovers, and a most beautiful graphic interface.
I haven't bought them yet.
I take as much information as possible before making my choice.
You're talking of the Metra adapter ? I don't think, but you can see what is available for each model on Metra website.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if all TAU have the same chip, but mine (non bose) have a TB2931HQ chip.
It sounds not so bad, especially after replacing the speakers (I replaced mine at front by a Hertz component system).
But i want to improve sound quality, and i think changing the factory head unit is not a bad thing. Alpine ILX-207 (for example) has rca output (for external amps), time alignment, active crossovers, and a most beautiful graphic interface.
I haven't bought them yet.
I take as much information as possible before making my choice.
You're talking of the Metra adapter ? I don't think, but you can see what is available for each model on Metra website.
Yes,of course the alpine will aound better,even if using Android auto it has a much better quality dac than the original mazda headunit,many complain that the android auto sounds so bad through USB,maybe due to car original HU poor DAC,sometimes I even think that the mazda cmu doesn't give the tau full potential,but once if there's a problem with the TAU or either CMU,will definitely change to third party HU.The mazda cmu are pretty laggy and very expensive to replace.The TAU is made by Panasonic right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes,of course the alpine will aound better,even if using Android auto it has a much better quality dac than the original mazda headunit,many complain that the android auto sounds so bad through USB,maybe due to car original HU poor DAC,sometimes I even think that the mazda cmu doesn't give the tau full potential,but once if there's a problem with the TAU or either CMU,will definitely change to third party HU.The mazda cmu are pretty laggy and very expensive to replace.The TAU is made by Panasonic right?
Yes. It's made by Panasonic. I'm agree with you that the original HU has poor DAC. I've tried the mini jack input with music playing stored in my phone, and there is a huge difference with the sound playing from USB.
So, i think you're right when you're saying that the HU doesn't give the TAU full potential.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope someone can make another software for the cmu and can provide better sound quality.more controls like bass,mid,treble,smaller different control about the fade and balance,it would be nice,hope it can have these and other features at next update.But v70 need to have aio tweak is a pain.

·
Banned
12 Posts
For car entertainment unit what negatives could there really be. Only thing i would watch out is the screen peeling on earlier models. LKQ is a very trusted used auto part store. Perhaps it is one of the most know and they usually have some sort of warranty and return period. So no I dont see any risk going this route. I would have done the same(are you out of warranty?).

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts