2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys do this? I went to Browning Mazda here in Los Angeles today to get the first oil change after completing our move from Brooklyn, NY, and they tried to get me for $350 when I only came in for the $60 oil change (with coupon). $30 tire rotation, $130 engine and cabin air filter, and $110 4 wheel alignment. The car has 15k miles on it, we got it in Nov 2015 and obviously haven't driven it much. The manual says to inspect/clean/replace the air filters when you get your oil changes done. The dealer in Queens (koeppel) that we got the car from never hustled us for the air filters and alignment when we got our oil change done there.

What mileage do you guys use to gauge when to replace the engine and cabin air filter?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Agreed, for both filters. That's why manual says inspect. $130 for that work is steep, takes about 5 minutes to get them both done.

Why does it need an alignment? That's not regular maintenance.

This is the classic tricks shops use to get your money. The really crooked ones con you into unnecessary work and then just don't do it.

Your owner's manual is the final word where your warranty is concerned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haven't done my Mazda3 yet as it only has about 800 miles. But on other cars I've had I change the engine and cabin air filter every 10k. For me it's just easy piece of mind. On our other car, both filters are about 16$ each so 32$ every 10k is good value for clean air for me and the car. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can check and change both filters by yourself, it’s very simple and saves you $130...

2015 Mazda3 Sport GT 2.5L MT

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
That Mazda stealership is trying to rip you off. There is very little chance that a car with only 15k needs an alignment and new filters, UNLESS it has been running in the BAJA 1000. If it was me, I would be calling the district manager for Mazda. At the Mazda dealership here; an oil & filter change AND tire rotation costs $50.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both of my filters were NASTY at 18k miles. Car is just used as a freeway commuter, so I can't explain it.

Did you ask why they were recommending the rotate and alignment? Do you have uneven tire wear?

Agree with the others, the filters are a piece of cake to replace, especially the cabin filter.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Never have a dealership install cabin or air filters. The process of switching them out takes 5 minutes (check on youtube for how to videos) and they are cheap to buy (Air Filter Cabin Filter).
CK

Reactions: matkatmusic

·
Registered
372 Posts
Did you ask why they were recommending the rotate and alignment? Do you have uneven tire wear?
There's a very good reason for them to recommend rotation and alignment: the dealership can make more profit that way (and judging by those prices, a LOT of profit).

That said, I rotate my tires every 5k miles, as recommended by the manual and the app on the infotainment system which reminds me. It takes me about 10 minutes in my garage. No alignment though: at 23k, it still drives straight as an arrow on the highway.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Oooohhhh... for $247.50 I can have someone install those bad boys. If anyone ever paid that, they deserve a slap.
CK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone got a picture guide or written guide for how to replace the engine air filter? I found the thread for how to replace the cabin air filter, but didn't see one for the engine air filter...

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Replacing the air filter is quite simple. Remove the top cover of the airbox by popping the clips on the front of the box. The top lifts off and forward a bit. The filter is right under the cover. Takes all of 5 minutes maybe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts