2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can the BN infotainment (black trim) be installed in a BM with the older silver trim? Is there any considerations required or a simple swap?
I have installed the Android auto kit in my car but still have old wiring loom and usb port, and am assuming unless the new unit has the right firmware I will have to upgrade it first using the old wiring and usb port.

My 2014 is experiencing ghost touches and Mazda didn't extend the warranty here in Oz like is has overseas, so if I have to pay for it I though I may aswell go for the sleeker looking unit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The ignorant dealer replaced my head unit and later updated the software but he had to replace the touchscreen to fix the ghosting. If I could do it over I would have just disconnected the ribbon cable. The would have been better than 3 trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I know about disconnecting the ribbon but I want to solve it so it is not an issue when I sell the car eventually.
When I referred to head unit I am meant the complete cmu, screen and trim replacement as this is how most come from the wreckers. If I can find the screen only I will do that as it will save me time upgrading the cmu again. I don't need to worry about going to the dealer as I am doing myself.

I ended up finding the answer which is you can install the black trim screen in a 2014 model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks all, I know about disconnecting the ribbon but I want to solve it so it is not an issue when I sell the car eventually.
When I referred to head unit I am meant the complete cmu, screen and trim replacement as this is how most come from the wreckers. If I can find the screen only I will do that as it will save me time upgrading the cmu again. I don't need to worry about going to the dealer as I am doing myself.

I ended up finding the answer which is you can install the black trim screen in a 2014 model.
You seem to be on the right track, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents anyway: YES you can swap out a 2014 screen for a 2017 screen. I was able to get the screen/trim piece from a salvage website for about $120 and the installation was a breeze.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You seem to be on the right track, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents anyway: YES you can swap out a 2014 screen for a 2017 screen. I was able to get the screen/trim piece from a salvage website for about $120 and the installation was a breeze.
Wondering what good US sites are there if you might be able to share

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wondering what good US sites are there if you might be able to share
I used LKQ Online. The pricing seemed somewhat competitive, and I particularly liked that I could sort my search results by mileage so I could pick out the screen that was least likely to have significant wear. If I remember correctly, the car I got my screen from was a totaled 2018 with only 15k or so miles on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts