2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife destroyed the passenger side outside mirror on our 2014 Touring when attempting to murder a trashcan at ~30mph :surprise:. Now I am hunting for a replacement mirror. The original had the BSD led and signal indicator and I don't believe it was heated. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I upgrade the mirror to a heated one? Will the wiring already be there or would this be a big undertaking?
2) Can I find a replacement that is already painted? Looking for jet black.
3) Is there a recommend place I can look. I checked rockauto but they don't have any with BSD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Everything you need is right here:

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/outside-mirrors-scat

The mirrors aren't painted; the housings are unpainted plastic and only differ by the wiring they support (BSM, heating, etc.), and the turn signal. Then there's a painted "cap" that fits on the back, so you just get that in whatever color your car is. And then the mirror glass is a separate piece and of course varies by heating and BSM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! TY for sharing that link! How would I know if the required wiring for hooking up heated mirrors is to the door? Also, is auto-folding a possibility?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Autofolding is posible with a different module. There are many kinds of this, even in aliexpress
Sorry, no. This module will not work if you don't have power-folding mirrors. These modules are add-ons for cars that already have power-folding mirrors, to allow them to fold in when the car is turned off (instead of having to press a button manually). They don't magically make your non-power mirrors fold.

If you want power-folding mirrors, you have to buy the housings from a country that has these. Japan commonly has them, however you can't just swap Japanese-market mirrors on your US-spec car, because Japan is RHD and US is LHD, so the mirrors are actually different and you'll be lucky if you can even get them adjusted correctly. I don't know what LHD markets have power-folding mirrors; they might be available from continental Europe.

Now if you do get some power-folding mirror housings, there's still the problem of supporting wiring, which most likely isn't present in US-spec cars. All in all, it's probably a very difficult swap, though I can't say for sure because I haven't tried it.

As for putting in heated mirrors, I don't know about the wiring. I've looked all through the parts diagrams on Tasca trying to find the wiring harnesses in the doors, and I just can't find the harnesses at all. In fact, none of the car's wiring harnesses seem to be listed, except for the main engine harness. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. If you could find the harnesses for the doors, you'd be able to see if the part numbers are the same for cars with and without heated mirrors. If they're different, then you'd need to change the harness, or rig up some additional wires not just in the door but probably also behind the dash. If they're the same, then you could probably just plug them in. Then there's the problem of whether they'd work with the HVAC system (which turns them on when you activate the rear window defogger). You might need to set the as-built data, or it might just work as-is. Looking through the wiring diagrams in the service manual should tell you a lot here, so I'd recommend that. Plan for a couple hours; the service manual for these cars isn't the easiest thing to look through if you're not used to it. If you don't already have it, there's a thread here somewhere that tells you where to download it from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, no. This module will not work if you don't have power-folding mirrors. These modules are add-ons for cars that already have power-folding mirrors, to allow them to fold in when the car is turned off (instead of having to press a button manually). They don't magically make your non-power mirrors fold.

If you want power-folding mirrors, you have to buy the housings from a country that has these. Japan commonly has them, however you can't just swap Japanese-market mirrors on your US-spec car, because Japan is RHD and US is LHD, so the mirrors are actually different and you'll be lucky if you can even get them adjusted correctly. I don't know what LHD markets have power-folding mirrors; they might be available from continental Europe.

Now if you do get some power-folding mirror housings, there's still the problem of supporting wiring, which most likely isn't present in US-spec cars. All in all, it's probably a very difficult swap, though I can't say for sure because I haven't tried it.

As for putting in heated mirrors, I don't know about the wiring. I've looked all through the parts diagrams on Tasca trying to find the wiring harnesses in the doors, and I just can't find the harnesses at all. In fact, none of the car's wiring harnesses seem to be listed, except for the main engine harness. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. If you could find the harnesses for the doors, you'd be able to see if the part numbers are the same for cars with and without heated mirrors. If they're different, then you'd need to change the harness, or rig up some additional wires not just in the door but probably also behind the dash. If they're the same, then you could probably just plug them in. Then there's the problem of whether they'd work with the HVAC system (which turns them on when you activate the rear window defogger). You might need to set the as-built data, or it might just work as-is. Looking through the wiring diagrams in the service manual should tell you a lot here, so I'd recommend that. Plan for a couple hours; the service manual for these cars isn't the easiest thing to look through if you're not used to it. If you don't already have it, there's a thread here somewhere that tells you where to download it from.

Thank you for your time and your detailed response!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Couldn't you swap the glass from a USA mirror into the Japanese housing, so that the curvature is correct for the handedness of the car? Or are the housings a different shape also?

Of course you're right that there's still the problem of supplying power to the motors.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Couldn't you swap the glass from a USA mirror into the Japanese housing, so that the curvature is correct for the handedness of the car? Or are the housings a different shape also?
It's not the glass that's the problem, it's the housings: they're angled differently, because of the driver's position in the car. I did this swap once, many years ago on a Honda. It was barely possible to get the mirrors to a decent adjustment, because they were at the very edges of their adjustment range. It might be possible to do this swap and just make up for it with the regular adjustments, but considering the cost of the parts, and also how much work might be required for the wiring, I wouldn't want to bet on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts