2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Mazda3. Managed to strip my oil drain plug (at center area where hex wrench is inserted) and looking for replacement. Will any 17mm oil drain plug work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
what ever bolt you get, it needs to have the right thread pitch. someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe its 1.5mm. safest bet is going to the stealer ship though

·
Registered
249 Posts
^^^
I bought one from the dealership for next to nothing a while ago. Probably the easiest way to get this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just bought a fumoto to go on mine :) an ingenious idea - why don't they come from the factory?? its makes so much sense - unless there profits come from the 2p washer they charge £1.50 for on a service ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks like the F106S may be better for my car being so low......I doubt clearance would be an issue but err on the side of caution I guess!??!

Specifications

Diameter: 14 mm
Thread Pitch: 1.5
Gasket: 14 mm
Nipple Dimension: 3/8" - 10 mm
Nipple Length: 1/5" - 5 mm
Weight: 2.9 oz

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
281 Posts
@GerryB @minsanity

Can either of you confirm is the adapter needed.....

OP says 17mm plug, the Fumoto valves are 14mm diameter.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@GerryB @minsanity

Can either of you confirm is the adapter needed.....

OP says 17mm plug, the Fumoto valves are 14mm diameter.
Good question, sorry for any confusion my original post created. I was referring to the head size of the old style replacement plug which was 17mm. Not a fan of the current design which requires 8mm hex key...

14mm is correct diameter.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for clarifying.....glad I ordered one of these. The Fumoto will make it way easier to change the oil at home.

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
Quikvalve 's website will make the choice for you. I don't recall the dimensions offhand.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was able to go to Autozone and buy a drain plug that I can use with a normal socket instead of the hex key. So far it's been working better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts