2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery on my key fob was dying, the car warned me to replace it but I wasn't aware I was supposed to do this ASAP. Today I got to my care and the key fob didn't work, I opened the car door manually and tried to ignite the card with my key fob next to the push start button, it didn't work.

I've already replaced the battery on the key fob but it didn't do anything, nothing seems to be working anymore... Depressing the clutch pedal should turn on some lights letting me know I can push the start button to ignite the car, no lights are turned on. The blinking red light on the dashboard when the car is turned off and locked has also stopped blinking.

Has this happened with anyone else before? Is there anything I can do to revive my car or will I need to call m insurance company to get my car into the nearest Mazda dealership to get it fixed? Thoughts?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
The battery on my key fob was dying, the car warned me to replace it but I wasn't aware I was supposed to do this ASAP. Today I got to my care and the key fob didn't work, I opened the car door manually and tried to ignite the card with my key fob next to the push start button, it didn't work.

I've already replaced the battery on the key fob but it didn't do anything, nothing seems to be working anymore... Depressing the clutch pedal should turn on some lights letting me know I can push the start button to ignite the car, no lights are turned on. The blinking red light on the dashboard when the car is turned off and locked has also stopped blinking.

Has this happened with anyone else before? Is there anything I can do to revive my car or will I need to call m insurance company to get my car into the nearest Mazda dealership to get it fixed? Thoughts?
The depleted battery in the fob cause the issue. You'll need to get the fob reprogrammed to the car again. The forum has a few guides on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to get the fob reprogrammed to the car again. The forum has a few guides on that.
Can I really do it myself without going to the dealer?

Can you please help me out find those guides? I mean, English car terminology is not my strongest suit, I'm not sure how to search for that, my currents searches yielded in nothing... :(

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Holding the key fob on the start button should start the car. Do you have a spare key to try since the car is supplied with two keys?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Did you put the battery in the right direction? Is the red light on the keyfob lighting up when you press the button? Also may be entirely possible that the battery you installed was DOA.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah, with all the comments seems like the car battery would be the next logical place to start. I don't see how it could be the fob since he said he tried the 2nd fob and that didn't work either with the same result. He can't program the fob since you are not actually programming the fob but programming the CMU to the fob thru the OBD...requiring limited and expensive equipment that even most locksmiths still don't have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can I really do it myself without going to the dealer?

Can you please help me out find those guides? I mean, English car terminology is not my strongest suit, I'm not sure how to search for that, my currents searches yielded in nothing... :(

If you are in the so.cal area I can reprogram the key fob for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,250 Posts
Check the fob battery again. Replacing a dead battery should not require reprogramming the system.
Don't fool around with the fob programming just yet. If you don't have the skills or capability to diagnose this problem take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. No sense in throwing random fixes at the car when you have no clue what the problem is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone, sorry for taking so long to reply back. I just wanted to give you guys an update on my situation... The problem was actually a dead battery. I jump started my Mazda with another car's battery and it was all good. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
A thought for some of us: consider buying a battery load tester. They are not expensive and show you the true health of your battery. For example this week I managed to catch the battery in the wife's car before she got stranded. 0C weather and a 550A battery is putting out less than 200A.

Its 2 clamps on your battery. Any jackass can do this one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts