2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had to replace a key fob for a 2016 Mz3?

Did a search and came up with 500 "hits" but apparently none of them directly this (probably "replace" or "key" or "fob").

Got in the wife's car to take her to the doctor. Car wouldn't start. Jumped in the truck and took it. Searched for key fob in my fanny pack. Not there. Called bowling alley and extension office. None turned in. Guess it's gone. Had it after I washed it Saturday a week ago after we got back from Columbus, OH. Always take them down the road to heat up the brakes after washing. Had to put on my fanny pack to drive it. Last I drove it.

Do I have to present VIN at dealer and order one, or is there another source you've used?

Ralph

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'll be able to order a key fob at any dealership or online without a VIN. But you'll need to bring you car in to dealership to have them program the fob to your car. To do this you'll also need to bring the other key fob and have that reprogrammed as well so when someone find your fob they won't be able to steal your car.

For the key part, if you still have the key tag then you can have that cut by code. If not you'll either have to ask if the dealership has a record of it or you'll need to do a trace cut (not as accurate).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, the car will start beeping if the key is not in range when you close the door (Not in the front area of the car or dead fob battery). So try remembering the last time you drove the car, did the car start beeping when you closed the door. If you remember it not beeping then maybe the fob is inside the car some where you just have to find it. Good luck finding it and not have to pay hundreds for a new fob.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never take the fob out of my fanny pack. Neither does the wife. Yes, sometimes we get beeping with both of us having fobs and using the trunk, etc.

I must have pulled something from that compartment of my fanny pack and mistakenly had the fob come out, too.

Gonna go over tomorrow where I had a meeting last Tuesday to see if it's there or someone turned it in.

Ralph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts