2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife hit a hooved rat this morning. It damaged the front bumper and grill.

Since the bumper has to come off and new one on, it's a good time to probably replace all the light bulbs there. For what I can, I plan to order some LED ones: fogs, marker and maybe daytime running lights.

Don't particularly want to replace the HIDs with LEDs, as it may be too involved. Has anyone of you just replaced the HIDs. Says in the owners manual to take it back to the dealer for this. I'll ask the car repair people whether they can do it, or they could run it over to the dealer after the bumper is off if they cannot do it.

Wondering about signal light bulbs: going to LED. Any problems? On Miatas, people have reported changes in flash frequency.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Last I heard Ol Ralph was driving a 2014 GT.
If this still the case, nothing needs to be removed to change any of the light bulbs.
To replace the signals with LEDs and avoid hyperflash, all you need to do is install the correct in-line resistors. They are available already wired with the correct plugs. All you need to do is plug one end into the harness plug and attach the other end to the bulb.

·
Registered
452 Posts
To replace the signals with LEDs and avoid hyperflash, all you need to do is install the correct in-line resistors.
A guy on here changed the asbuilt data to fix it, it might work on a 14. Im surprised you didnt know that...

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
A guy on here changed the asbuilt data to fix it, it might work on a 14. Im surprised you didnt know that...
You might want to reread that a bit more carefully. That car was a non-North American 2019 Mazda 6, not a 2015 Mazda 3. The earlier (2018) Mazda 6 in that post required resistors.
Besides, not everyone can access that. Installing resistors costs maybe $15 and takes all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2016 GT with 2.5 MT. How long do the HIDs last? She runs them at least 1 hour for 6 days a week to/from the gym. Think the signal light bulbs are a PITA if I have to mess with harness and all.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
It's a 2016 GT with 2.5 MT. How long do the HIDs last? She runs them at least 1 hour for 6 days a week to/from the gym. Think the signal light bulbs are a PITA if I have to mess with harness and all.
The 2016 is pretty much the same as the 2014 cars.
The HIDs should last a long time, not that much different than any other bulb. I would not worry too much about it.
You don't have to mess with the harness to install LEDs. The resistors plug right into the harness using the same connectors as the bulbs, its just a short extension with a resistor included in line. They look like this - 7443 hyper flash adapter
Its no more difficult than installing a bulb. Just plug the adapter into the harness then plug the bulb into the adapter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered a pair of fog light LEDs from JDM ASTER outfit. They seemed not to have the signal light LEDs with the resister. Found out Advance Auto has them for $2 with resister built in. Will get those there.

It's only the fog lights and signal lights that are located in the bumper area. The rest seem accessible from under the hood in the headlight assemblies. I'll do them as they need to be done.

Also ordered the dome light and map light LEDs from JDM ASTER. Their dome light for the Mx5 is a really good one.

Ralph

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Don't use the bulbs with the built in resistors in the rear. They are not compatible with the 4-way emergency flasher function. Most of those only work for about 8 minutes, then the LED circuits over heat and the bulbs shut off, rendering the 4-ways inoperative.
On 2016 cars, all of the lights, including the fog lights and signal lights, are easily accessed by pulling the fender liner down. You'll find swapping the headlights a bit tricky doing if from under the hood.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds as though I should just replace the signal light bulbs in kind or just let them go, as they wouldn't have been used that much more than normal; whereas, she runs the lights (incl. fog) EVERY morning going to and often coming from the gym.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
155 Posts

Has anyone tried the Morimoto LEDs ?

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts

Has anyone tried the Morimoto LEDs ?

I just looked at the link.....
What are the pictures of light patterns on a wall supposed to show? Those light dispersal patterns are terrible.....

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
155 Posts
What are the pictures of light patterns on a wall supposed to show? Those light dispersal patterns are terrible.....
Thats why i ask ...
Btw ...looks like my Alerts / notification not working

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
155 Posts
Which do you think are the best H11 and H4 ?

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Its really hard to tell from pictures like those if they have a decent design. Its possible that the light boxes are crap to begin with. The whole 2 stroke chain saw thing looks pretty gimicky though....
That being said, I am currently using LEDs from IJDMtoy in the high and low beams.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just received the LED bulbs from JDM ASTER. They say in the paper work that the ones for the fog lights are headlight/fog are "Conversion Kit with internal Drivers". They appear a bit big to go in the fog lights of the 2016 GT mounted in the lower outer parts of the bumper. Anyone else got these? They're H11-HLV7 from superbrightleds.com.

Not too happy with the way the LED dome and map lights look either. Got an interior LED bulb for the Miata, and it is great. Same bulb goes in the trunk light socket.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for pointing out the page 9-9 in the owner's manual. The fog lights are halogen H11; so the replacement H11 LEDs I bought should work. Found out on that page that the signal light bulbs are LED.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Anyone happen to have links to replacing out the turn signals on a 2014 with LEDs I just want a simple link that works. Ideally, some fog lights that work too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to pg. 9-9 of my owners manual (as someone pointed out here), our 2016 GT fog lights are H11 halogens. I bought H11-HLV7 LEDs from JDM ASTER web site, which I guess is the surperbrightleds.com one shown on the box. Haven't had the hooved rat damage fixed yet, as I just today got a reply from the body place giving us a proposed date. So, don't know for absolutely sure they'll work, but they're what the JDM ASTER people sent me from their menu after in input the make, year and model. Suspect your 2014 is the same.
Someone said you have to remove the fender liner to get at the fog lights baring replacement of the bumper, which we're having to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts