2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dave H.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little mishap and I damaged the black plastic part of the bumper cover as shown below:

https://goo.gl/photos/PMeZFhWzCxnVz1t6A

I am willing to have a less-than-totally-perfect repair. Does any one know what my options are if I just want to minimize the visual damage? Is there something I can do to make that part look better or do I need to replace the entire bumper?

I have taken the bumper off before when I attached the hitch. So, I am willing to do that if I have to.

Thanks in advance,
Dave ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you end up figuring this out? I have the same car and have a big scratch in the same area (unpainted black plastic bumper cover). I used a heat gun to soften the scratch and now there is a shiny patch, still looks like crap. Looking to just replace the bumper cover if possible.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You can maybe try sanding everything smooth and then use bondo, clay or something like that to fill out the hole and then wrap the bumper in gloss black vinyl, the matte part. I wrapped mine in gloss black and it looks better than matte so maybe that's an option, it'll cover up all the scuffs too lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw in another post that you mentioned having this installed on your car? I was thinking of ordering one paint matched. What is the process like for installing one, and how does it attach? I imagine I would have to jack the car up in the rear and remove the exhaust from its hangers prior to install. I am guessing that attaching the diffuser itself would include using some 3M auto adhesive tape for application, but I noticed the diffuser also had some bolt holes. Is any drilling required for the install?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts