2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 iTouring sedan with Tech Package yesterday and really love it. The car feels so mature and grown up compared to my 2013 model.

The subject title is based on what the sales rep was claiming regarding potential repair costs. He was promoting the extended warranty coverage (which I never buy), and he said the cost to replace the 7-inch display is $5000!!! Anyone here have insider information to refute this?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I never buy extended warranty too, except this time. Only reason I got the extended warranty was to do so I can get the 1.49% interest rate. In the end it's almost the same price, but I rather pay the money towards the warranty rather than interest. Plus, this car (sGT) has a lot of electronics so it's just a better piece of mind to not have to worry about it for 7 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a 2014
The subject title is based on what the sales rep was claiming regarding potential repair costs. He was promoting the extended warranty coverage (which I never buy), and he said the cost to replace the 7-inch display is $5000!!! Anyone here have insider information to refute this?
First congrats on your new car.

When I got mine they didn't even try to sell me the extended warranty , Not sure why , but I expect it was because they realized they were not dealing with someone who was going to buy it.

If they had fed me a line like that I would have slammed them on there dealer evaluation. It's one thing to try to baffle you with bullshit(not that I think that;s ok) but yet another to try to scare you with lies. Considering that the tech package has an MSRP of $1600 , and that includes allot of extra goodies besides the screen , and considering that screens these days aren't particularly expensive there is just no way in hell that the screen cost $5000. If he had said $500 I could believe it, although that would be more then it should be.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought it was a bogus statement, but wanted to hear others opinions on the matter. As to the car itself, I'm so happy I bought it. The interior feels like BMW built it, and the ride is so much better than the previous generation. My 2013 was fun to sling into the corners and all, but now I can choose to drive aggressively or not, depending on the mood. I would actually define the 2014 model as an entry level luxury car with sporty behavior.

·
@Its_LouieV
119 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought it was a bogus statement, but wanted to hear others opinions on the matter. As to the car itself, I'm so happy I bought it. The interior feels like BMW built it, and the ride is so much better than the previous generation. My 2013 was fun to sling into the corners and all, but now I can choose to drive aggressively or not, depending on the mood. I would actually define the 2014 model as an entry level luxury car with sporty behavior.
I can definitely agree with this. I've been driving an BMW X3 before my new 2014 MZ3 sGT and while there are some minor changes, they both do feel very similar. Dash materials are nearly identical, a lot of Touch-Points are well padded, such as the center console cover and the doors, the commander switch and temperature control knobs are great. The steering wheel has a great feel. The whole interior is a major step up. However, i've come across 2 (extremely) minor annoyances. First is the cheap plastic feel to the vents in the middle of the car, for some reason they feel extremely weak. The 2nd thing would be, if Mazda spent so much time researching the likes of BMW for inspiration, they must have overlooked one of the nicest amenities of these luxury cars which is the lighting. The X3 has great light in places like the center console, under the center stack, on the steering column, and even the way the lights fade on when you unlock the car. (again, this is microscopic stuff).

In our family we have a 2008 CX-9, 2011 Mazda3, & a 2014 CX5 and I can honestly say every Mazda is definitely on to something here. As long as there are no hiccups when production starts up in North America, Mazda should have a very bright future ahead.

·
Registered
197 Posts
No way its 5000, the screen is just a display with no brains
Yes, the display should not cost that much, but I'd bet the farm that you can't just replace the screen. It is probably all one unit. (Screen, boards, wiring, and of course the hours of labor they will charge to replace it.) So, I don't doubt for a second that it will cost you ~$5k to replace that thing.

This is the problem with the latest electronics in vehicles. The service personnel at the dealerships cannot repair electronics. They can only replace them. It is the equivalent of replacing the engine because the thermostat failed.

I ran into the same problem with a Toyota Prius a few years back. The multi-display failed. They wanted $2000 to replace it for non-nav units and $4000 for nav units. I ended up taking the unit apart myself, and sure enough, it was a couple of cracked solder joints on one the connectors on one of the circuit boards. I happen to work at a large computer corporation and just handed the board to a buddy of mine that fixes this stuff for a living. He re-flowed the solder on the joints and tested the board to ensure it was fine. I bought him a $30 bottle of Gin for his trouble, reassembled the multi-display, reinstalled it and it has been working perfectly ever since. There was nothing else wrong. The screen was fine. The other 3 circuit boards were fine, the wiring was fine, the housing that held the unit was fine, but to "fix" this at the dealership, I'd have had to replace all that stuff that was working perfectly. Not to mention paying labor costs.

Where car electronics are concerned, unless you really want them and really can't bear to use alternative tech, then stuff like portable GPS and iPads, etc... will be much more cost effective and might even be more useful.

So, at this point, I won't buy another new car with advanced electronics without an extended warranty, and if possible, I avoid buying a car with anything that I can get through the aftermarket like nav. Its just not worth the cost to me. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, the display should not cost that much, but I'd bet the farm that you can't just replace the screen. It is probably all one unit. (Screen, boards, wiring, and of course the hours of labor they will charge to replace it.) So, I don't doubt for a second that it will cost you ~$5k to replace that thing.
Fortunately you are incorrect here :). I posted the complete service manual on here and you can see it for yourself on page 7030.

For the screen replacement all you need to do is
1 remove the glovebox
2 remove the decoration panel
3 remove 1 bolt and then detach 2 clips
4 unplug the screen to remove
5 remove the CMU (connectivity master unit) ( only needs to be removed because you have to reattach it to the new screen) its held in place by 1 screw.
6 then reverse to reinstall.

The screen has nothing inside it except for the touch screen display and has been designed to be easy to replace. In fact that is why Mazda made the entire system modular. Think of it like a computer, if the monitor breaks you don't replace the computer. I would be surprised if it costs more than $400 to replace including labor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fortunately you are incorrect here :). I posted the complete service manual on here and you can see it for yourself on page 7030.

For the screen replacement all you need to do is
1 remove the glovebox
2 remove the decoration panel
3 remove 1 bolt and then detach 2 clips
4 unplug the screen to remove
5 remove the CMU (connectivity master unit) ( only needs to be removed because you have to reattach it to the new screen) its held in place by 1 screw.
6 then reverse to reinstall.

The screen has nothing inside it except for the touch screen display and has been designed to be easy to replace. In fact that is why Mazda made the entire system modular. Think of it like a computer, if the monitor breaks you don't replace the computer. I would be surprised if it costs more than $400 to replace including labor.
I don't doubt that the service procedure is correct and that the screen has nothing else in it. What my gut tells me is that you can't just buy the screen. I'll bet it is part of a package that includes all the other electronics that go with the system.

I'll be pleased if that isn't the case. If Mazda truly has minimized the replacement cost for their electronics by allowing replacements of single components and not the entire system, that would be awesome. I'm just jaded and in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. :) I'd probably ask the parts dept for a quote on a screen replacement and see what comes up on their computer. If you can just buy the screen alone, then kudos Mazda.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah I can understand that. Judging by the way the repair is written and by what I been told when at the dealer it is modular but guess we wont really know until someone has it replaced...hopefully that person won't be me :)

·
Just Getting Started
105 Posts
I never buy extended warranty too, except this time. Only reason I got the extended warranty was to do so I can get the 1.49% interest rate. In the end it's almost the same price, but I rather pay the money towards the warranty rather than interest. Plus, this car (sGT) has a lot of electronics so it's just a better piece of mind to not have to worry about it for 7 years.

i just refinanced and got a 1.29% apr... so you didnt have to get it to get the lower rate.. in fact when i bout the car i had a 2.19% that the dealer got me over my pre-approved 2.29% lol..

extended warrentys are crap, they always try to find a way not to warranty your car anyways.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah I can understand that. Judging by the way the repair is written and by what I been told when at the dealer it is modular but guess we wont really know until someone has it replaced...hopefully that person won't be me :)
Man, I hope you are right. That would be awesome. It would also be a good sales point for Mazda.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is an interesting topic, but one that concerns me. If it is modular enough to replace just the bad part, then fine. I will never, however, pay thousands of dollars to replace electronics that go bad. So many cars have built-in navigation screens nowadays, that I can't think the average customer would pay big money to replace them. It would certainly steer me and many others back to the most basic of cars.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The way I look at extended warranties is that they are a gamble. You are betting you wont have a problem and pass or expecting to have nothing but problems and you buy one. I personally decide if I can afford to pay for the repairs out of pocked if I pass on the warranty and end up losing the gamble.

Since I can afford the consequences if problems occur post warranty I don't get the warranty. Also since I have had a habbit of trading in every couple years I've yet to own a Mazda long enough to need an extended warranty. This will be my 4th Mazda 3 since April 2008.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
I had extended warranty on the previous Mazda 3 I traded in which I had for a year.. When u traded in Mazda actually refunded the money for the extended warranty.. Soo that was nice

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts